Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it me or is cottos punching power gone

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Miguel rocked Floyd too with a left hook at one point but Floyd bluffed his way out.

http://youtu.be/YuWv_d3OioE?t=32m44s

Comment

over 800 views and 30 responses...interesting. I think Cotto got his confidence back after marg2, but then lost a little bit from the floyd fight. He actually thought he could beat him...that's confidence.

His punching is ok...i agree with the others, he hits pretty hard, but an accummulation puncher, unless he catches you with a trademark left hook.

Comment

If he loaded up now, he might get punished cos he aint fighting nobodies. Thats why he has to box and be more careful and methodical, and as a result he probably is not punching as hard.

But if had a opponent hurt and Cotto went for the kill you might see the old punching power return. He hasnt really got anyone in that situation, apart from Jennings, which coincidently he did look more poweruful didnt he, and jennings said as much about Cottos power. Voila.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
          He's never been a one punch knock our artists, it's always been through accumulation with Miguel. He got in some good shots against Floyd, but most of his punches were half blocked and mostly jabs landed.
          first of all, I'm on record as believing Floyd won that fight 9-3/10-2 against Cotto, but that said... yes, Cotto only landed mostly jabs, but they are left-hand dominant jabs which are a lot stiffer than an orthodox jab as well as being more accurate

in other words, they hurt more

Comment

Originally posted by joesaiditstrue View Post
            first of all, I'm on record as believing Floyd won that fight 9-3/10-2 against Cotto, but that said... yes, Cotto only landed mostly jabs, but they are left-hand dominant jabs which are a lot stiffer than an orthodox jab as well as being more accurate

in other words, they hurt more
            Floyd did win 118-110/117-111. Floyd took the first 5 rounds, yes Floyd won the 5th round. Just because Floyd fought off the ropes doesn't mean he lost the round. Cotto didn't land all that much and got out fought off the ropes the entire round, and Floyd out landed him throughout. Cotto won rounds 6 and 8, Floyd took the 7th as the pace slowed down. The 9th could have gone either way, both had their moments, it really depends on what you favored personally. And Floyd shut the last 3 rounds out easily. 118-110 was my card, could easily see it 117-111. No more, no less.

Comment

margarito seems to think he punches like a girl.

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
                I think Miguel rocked Floyd too with a left hook at one point but Floyd bluffed his way out.

http://youtu.be/YuWv_d3OioE?t=32m44s
                yeah what people dont underestimate is floyd ability to act cool even when he been tagged. I seen ortiz tagged Mayweather hard you mayweather for a split second i had oh **** look but he faked his way out of it by acting like it didnt hurt and ortiz backed off.

so yeah cotto very well felt cotto punches he face sure did but he know how to play it off.

Comment

Cotto still has punching power he demonstrated that against Floyd but of course is not the
                  punching power he use to have...I say he has enough power to put on a great fight against Canelo probably a win

Comment

Originally posted by B Phontain View Post
                    Power is usually the last thing to go in boxing (unless your mosley in that case chin is the last to go lol) Cotto has always been an accumulator. That AND Floyd's chin is underrated as hell so people think because he's a defense whiz, that if he gets hit he's gonna crumble or something is probably why cotto may not have looked that powerful to you. Alot of those shots where partially blocced as well. I think Cotto had all the confidence in the world in that last fight. He got that bac after Diaz helped him get thru his demons (Marg). He was stingin da hell outta marg in that fight. And in the Forman, and Mayorga fights as well. AND he's using 10 ounce gloves now. so i think its just a lot of factors really.
                    Here is a video of some of the of the shots that Cotto landed on Floyd. They look strong to me. go to 3:20

Comment

in recent fights I've thought that cotto has looked robotic, his punching predictable, and no snap.

now, in the mayweather fight, some of the cotto of old showed up, enough to make a good fight out of it, but he doesn't seem to be breaking bones and crushing innards like he was before.

idk what the deal is, but ive noticed that, from a fan stand point, I mean I'm not getting hit by him but it looks like his power has faded a bit, or the snap and pop in his punches.

cotto is the man though, he's a true professional and a class act, a true asset to the sport.

Comment

Working...
                      X