Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oscar: Come May 8th I'm gonna make calls to Golovkin's people to work it out

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Little G doesn't accept Ca$hnelo's demands he'll go down as the biggest coward in boxing history.

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
      I know I like to joke and mess with the GGG fans but this is the reality of the situation. Canelo must fight GGG next. People try to compare this to May-Pac but this is nothing like May-Pac. They were never mando's. And they had compelling fights with others while not fighting each other. Oscar and Canelo are frustrated because they saw how Floyd controlled the game when he was the biggest name in the sport and how much money he made and they want that same opportunity. Canelo has earned that. But suddenly within the last 3 years or so a monster has emerged and they're mandated to fight him. They feel like GGG has been gifted this spot, which I disagree with tbh. No he hasn't made the sacrifices to fight the best like Canelo, Floyd, Oscar, Cotto, Pac, and so many others have. But he's played by the rules withing boxing and he's earned his shot at that title. They're frustrated but GGG deserves his shot.

Originally posted by JrRod View Post
      Oscar was the number one money maker at one time, was KO'd and took plenty of loses yet it didn't stop him from still being the cash cow or making big fights.
      A KO is not what they're afraid of. A PPV not doing great is what they're afraid of.
      A KO is exactly what GBP is afraid of, because they want to take Floyd's spot and rake in that revenue while their star fighter (canelo) is as compelling as a slab of concrete with the charisma to match. That's a problem there. Adding to that, he can barely speak English and he hasn't (so far) done anything remotely controversial (or entertaining) enough to make headlines.

Thing is...Canelo hasn't reached the stature within the sport that Floyd, and especially Oscar, did. You gotta have "cache" built up before taking bad L's and expecting it to not heavily affect your drawing power and Canelo doesn't have that.

As a slight tangent...the above statements are probably factors that Team GGG considers when discussing the fight @ 155lb. A loss here probably hurts GGG more than Canelo; since he's been built up so much to be this world beater, he has far to fall.

Comment

That's all he really needs to say. What leverage does GGG have to force any terms on the sports cash cow?
        His mando status? That means nothing to 90% of the people who will be watching the fight.

Comment

Hes probably going to try and pay them step aside money again.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
            Bull****!!! Canelo vs Golovkin PPV would be huge and would sell very well boxing fans aren't stupid, they know a good fight when they see one.
            GGG vs Lemiux on paper seemed like a good fight and it tanked. No one was expecting a million buys, but they were expecting better than 150k.
            Throw in the fact that Canelo didn't really impress in his fight against Cotto and you worry about the fights numbers and the size of the event
            This is why IMO Oscar negotiated the fight with Khan. It's a big event with lots of exposure and importantly a fight in which your fighter will look good in. A vicious KO by Canelo being the last image on people's minds make them more likely to buy GGG/Canelo.
            And yes we NSB degenerates recognize a good fight, but remember that the big events in boxing have to cater towards the casual fan.

Comment

Originally posted by JrRod View Post
              GGG vs Lemiux on paper seemed like a good fight and it tanked. No one was expecting a million buys, but they were expecting better than 150k.
              Actually no one thought GGG vs Lemieux would be a big PPV hit because no one gave Lemieux a chance at all.

I really hate this idea that boxing fans are so clueless that they wouldn't be super excited for Canelo vs Golovkin and the logic you're using is what ****ing GGG vs Lemieux did? GTFO!

Comment

Originally posted by BlakBread904 View Post
                A KO is exactly what GBP is afraid of, because they want to take Floyd's spot and rake in that revenue while their star fighter (canelo) is as compelling as a slab of concrete with the charisma to match. That's a problem there. Adding to that, he can barely speak English and he hasn't (so far) done anything remotely controversial (or entertaining) enough to make headlines.

Thing is...Canelo hasn't reached the stature within the sport that Floyd, and especially Oscar, did. You gotta have "cache" built up before taking bad L's and expecting it to not heavily affect your drawing power and Canelo doesn't have that.

As a slight tangent...the above statements are probably factors that Team GGG considers when discussing the fight @ 155lb. A loss here probably hurts GGG more than Canelo; since he's been built up so much to be this world beater, he has far to fall.

I respectfully disagree. If Oscar was afraid of a loss or KO they would not have put Nelo against the guys he's fought. They wouldn't have risked putting him in a regular hbo broadcast with James Kirkland who despite what everyone says has the ability to hurt anyone.
                What they're afraid of is not maximizing an event. They're more worried of a PPV being under 300k.

If GGG fights Canelo and gets KO'd they rebuild him. Feed him guys like Rubio, Rosado, Lee, then they get him a fight with Quillin, he gets a string of victories and suddenly he's back.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakBread904 View Post
                  That's what I've been saying. Canelo has been beat. And many people consider him a very good A-level boxer but very few consider him top 5 P4P. If Canelo loses, even by KO, he'll take a financial hit on his next couple of fights but he can work his way back. He's only 25. But if GGG loses he falls into Naseem territory. Good fighter, entertaining, but lost the first time he fought an A-level fighter. GGG has a lot more to lose imo

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                    Actually no one thought GGG vs Lemieux would be a big PPV hit because no one gave Lemieux a chance at all.

I really hate this idea that boxing fans are so clueless that they wouldn't be super excited for Canelo vs Golovkin and the logic you're using is what ****ing GGG vs Lemieux did? GTFO!
                    No one gives Khan a chance here either and it will still be a huge event.
                    I never said people wouldn't be excited for a GGG/Nelo fight what I am saying is they would want to maximize the event as much as possible. Canelo getting a vicious KO on a sizeable PPV would make the event bigger.
                    Would it not?

Comment

GGG needs the big name to take over! Fawk it bow down to his demands and beat the sh it out of the dirty poosie ginger and be the face of boxing

Comment

Working...
                      X