Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Tyson have defeated a prime Larry Holmes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good question.

Larry Holmes had one of, if not THE best jab in Heavyweight history, IMO, but Tyson never really showed any difficulty in getting inside the reach of taller Heavyweights until later in his life when he was on the downside of his career. Holmes also has the advantage of having been a sparring partner for such greats as Ali and Frazier (who had a similar swarming style to Tyson's), but Holmes had also been dropped in his prime by Shavers, a knockout artist similar to Tyson in some aspects.

Then you have the stamina issue to consider : Tyson having only gone the distance 4 times in 37 fights, whereas Holmes was quite accustomed to going the distance, and in particular - Mounting a rally late in the fight.

Tough call, but going with my gut I'd pick a prime Tyson to dust off a prime Holmes in 8 rounds, with Mike losing most of the early rounds, but perhaps keeping the fight close on the cards with an early knockdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Atreyu Khalil View Post
      Tyson said after his fight with Holmes that he wouldnt have beat holmes if Holmes was in his prime. Do You Agree?
      are you sure mike said that? I remember him talking about that fight and saying something like 'If Holmes had been younger it might not have been so easy' but not he wouldn't have beaten him.

I think the version of mike that met holmes that night would have beaten any version of holmes tbh
      Last edited by Daddy T; 07-28-2012, 03:32 PM.

Comment

If they fought 10 times I'd favor Holmes to win 7. Larry is pretty much the blueprint for how to beat Mike. Tyson's good enough not to get shutout in a multi-fight series but he isn't going to come out ahead. Tyson was a great fighter in his prime but he was NOT the GOAT in his prime and he was not unbeatable. Not even close.

Poet

Comment

Holmes was an all time great heavy who was top notch in every department, at his best he was a level above Tyson and bearing in mind how much Tyson had real problem with a good jab even from the likes of journeymen like Tillis and Green, i think Holmes with one if the best jabs in history would be Tyson's worst nightmare and would ruin him inside of 8 rounds, imagine Buster Douglas x10.
          Last edited by hogey; 07-28-2012, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
            I don't think this was false modesty on Tyson's part. On his best day, Mike was capable of beating any boxer that ever lived. But the underrated Holmes might've beaten Tyson a hypothetical 7 or 8 out of 10 times. Larry was a great boxer with an ATG jab and an iron chin. And lets not forget his will to win. In the end, I think this would've been the biggest factor working against "Iron Mike". Tyson would've withered in the championship rounds versus Holmes.
            Agreed, i think Holmes 's footwork and fists were too fast for Tyson.
            Would have been able to avoid the kid 's fury, and then...

Comment

Think Holmes would have F up Tyson in the ole 15 rd system. Holmes by late stoppage.

Comment

Originally posted by Atreyu Khalil View Post
                Tyson said after his fight with Holmes that he wouldnt have beat holmes if Holmes was in his prime. Do You Agree?
                How do you think Prime Mike takes Prime Riddick Bowe?

Comment

It's fun to romance the idea that Tyson could have beaten anyone but realistically, he had a lot of limitations (it took me years to come to terms with that). I don't see him beating a prime Holmes.

Comment

HOLMES: Well first of all let me just say this, when I fought Mike Tyson I didn’t fight Mike Tyson. I wasn’t even ready. I was two years off for Mike Tyson. I wasn’t out there training. I was singing and hanging out. I wasn’t really into fighting Mike Tyson. I had quit. Don King came to me and offered me $3.5 million. I said I might as well take the fight. I took the fight on short notice. They only gave me two months to get ready for the fight and then I fell short. Mike Tyson beat me, and after that I quit and went back to the things I was doing with the band and whatever. Then I told people how it was. Mike Tyson is going to be a great fighter but his mind is not going to be there to be a great fighter because he’s going to do anything and everything that he wants to do. I told people in five years or whatever he would be in jail, and everything I predicted and said about Mike Tyson came true. I mean I like Mike Tyson. I think he’s a good guy. I just think he needs to think about what he’s going to do before he does it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
                      How do you think Prime Mike takes Prime Riddick Bowe?
                      Mike was prime when he lost to Douglas, bowe IMO was better than Douglas. Bowe that beat Holyfield would give Tyson trouble

Comment

Working...
                      X