No announcement yet.

is it me or is cottos punching power gone

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it me or is cottos punching power gone

i think that after the pacquiao fight is when it started because pacquaio took some shots from him and didnt seem bothered at all he doesnt punch like he use to anymore i think manny took his confidence i think thats why he doesnt punch like he used to anymore even against floyd floyd didnt look that bothered by his shots when he took some good shot from cotto

idk i think i might be imagining things plzz tell me what u think

He's never been a one punch knock our artists, it's always been through accumulation with Miguel. He got in some good shots against Floyd, but most of his punches were half blocked and mostly jabs landed.

Comment

Hes fighting great fighters now, so they can take his shots. Maybe the fact Cotto knows he cant blow people out with one shot, has taken some of the sting out of his punches.

Comment

he showed power against judah and against clottey i think he saw he wasnt going to be able to hurt him so he took some power off bt i think the pacquaio fight had a an affect on his power ability u know how they say a puncher has to have the confidence to be able to deliver a shot and hurt him he saw that he couldnt hurt manny with his punches and i think thats why his power isnt there anymore no confidence

Comment

Power is usually the last thing to go in boxing (unless your mosley in that case chin is the last to go lol) Cotto has always been an accumulator. That AND Floyd's chin is underrated as hell so people think because he's a defense whiz, that if he gets hit he's gonna crumble or something is probably why cotto may not have looked that powerful to you. Alot of those shots where partially blocced as well. I think Cotto had all the confidence in the world in that last fight. He got that bac after Diaz helped him get thru his demons (Marg). He was stingin da hell outta marg in that fight. And in the Forman, and Mayorga fights as well. AND he's using 10 ounce gloves now. so i think its just a lot of factors really.

Comment

He has big power. Emmanuel Steward will testify to this. You look at the left hook that put mayorga down in the 12th. There's some big power there.

The problem is he is vunerable at these weights and can be hurt. He often finds himself hurt, on the backfoot, surrendering the momentum to his opponent and trying to survive and be effective on the backfoot. He cant sit in the pocket, plant his feet, and really just TEE off with his shots. That's why Mosley could put Margarito away and Cotto couldn't. Mosley could plant his feet, stand, and bang.

Comment

Keep in mind he's fighting at a higher weight class with naturally bigger foes, thus his punching power is just about average at 154..

Comment

I dont think the power is gone

Paq said after their fight that Cottos shots that landed clean did hurt him, Cotto KO'd Yuri Foreman and Mayorga, Margarito is impossible to hurt with a single shot, and Floyd (like him or not) can take a good shot on the rare occasion one is landed. Let Cotto fight someone with a normal chin that can be hit again before we judge his punching power.

Comment

Pac & Floyd r the elite. U aren't just going to crush them with power shots. It's like Valero dominated Demarco but he didn't stop him in 1 round like he did all those other guys. U step up in comp, its not as easy to stop guys.

He was at his prime against Shame bit didn't really hurt him either. These are the elite. Not sayin they can't be stopped but there history tells u it won't be easy no matter how much power u have, not to mention they have great O coming back which makes it even harder to hurt guys

Comment

im telling yall i know hes not that biug a puncher bt its that his confidence isnt there anymore so thats why he isnt punching as well as he used to

Comment

Working...
                    X