No announcement yet.

Attention Mayweather fans.......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Mayweather fans.......

The reason why so many of us here on boxingscene.com do not label Floyd Mayweather Jr. as an all time great is because most of us have been watching this sport for more than 2-3 years. All time great is an elite position that only a small percentage of fighters have ever achieved. Getting established as an all time great means that you've made a permanent mark on the sport, and that without your presence the sport would not be what it is today.

There's only one way to become an all time great, and that's to constantly fight the best opponets possible. Pick any all time great off any list and I guarantee you they not only fought the best in their era, but they have victories over other established greats. I also guarantee you that if you removed them from the history of the sport, the sport would not be the same afterward.

I don't think anybody who's been watching this sport for over 3 years (or over the age of 18) could make a compelling argument as to why mayweather is an all time great. He is the greatest of his era, that much is for sure and nobody can take that away from him. But who has he beaten who is a shoe-in to the list of the greatest fighters ever to lace up the boots?

De La Hoya? He lost in every big match he ever had and was a far more sucessful businessman than boxer. Castillo, or Corrales? While both men are tough as nails and have my utmost respect, nobody could logically argue that either of them were some of the best to ever do it. Gatti? The man was always a C level bar brawler with little in the way on actual boxing talent and he won't even make the hall of fame, same goes for Carlos Baldomir. Zab Judah? Exciting prospect that never had the mental toughness to fully commit himself to an opponet who didn't "spark" him.

Do I need to pull out Hernandez, Mitchell, Corley, etc...? Bottom line is this, Mayweather is the greatest of his era and that much will always be his. But unless he beats Hatton, Cotto, Mosley and Williams there's no way to make an argument for him being an all time great. The only way for him to be an all time great is to wipe out his the entire division of all logical competition. Because none of his opponets were ever on anybody's list to be an all time great, because none of them (aside from De La Hoya's win over a deflated and old Chavez) ever beat another all time great.

Accept it for what it is: the truth. Stop calling us "haters" and whatever other lame **** you like to throw around, we're veterans of the sport and we call it like it is. I'm sorry if this is unacceptable to you but in time you'll forget all about it.
    Last edited by ßringer; 08-24-2007, 01:26 AM.

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
    The reason why so many of us here on boxingscene.com do not label Floyd Mayweather Jr. as an all time great is because most of us have been watching this sport for more than 2-3 years. All time great is an elite position that only a small percentage of fighters have ever achieved. Getting established as an all time great means that you've made a permanent mark on the sport, and that without your presence the sport would not be what it is today.

There's only one way to become an all time great, and that's to constantly fight the best opponets possible. Pick any all time great off any list and I guarantee you they not only fought the best in their era, but they have victories over other established greats. I also guarantee you that if you removed them from the history of the sport, the sport would not be the same afterward.

I don't think anybody who's been watching this sport for over 3 years (or over the age of 18) could make a compelling argument as to why mayweather is an all time great. He is the greatest of his era, that much is for sure and nobody can take that away from him. But who has he beaten who is a shoe-in to the list of the greatest fighters ever to lace up the boots?

De La Hoya? He lost in every big match he ever had and was a far more sucessful businessman than boxer. Castillo, or Corrales? While both men are tough as nails and have my utmost respect, nobody could logically argue that either of them were some of the best to ever do it. Gatti? The man was always a C level bar brawler with little in the way on actual boxing talent and he won't even make the hall of fame, same goes for Carlos Baldomir. Zab Judah? Exciting prospect that never had the mental toughness to fully commit himself to an opponet who didn't "spark" him.

Do I need to pull out Hernandez, Mitchell, Corley, etc...? Bottom line is this, Mayweather is the greatest of his era and that much will always be his. But unless he beats Hatton, Cotto, Mosley and Williams there's no way to make an argument for him being an all time great. The only way for him to be an all time great is to wipe out his the entire division of all logical competition. Because none of his opponets were ever on anybody's list to be an all time great, because none of them (aside from De La Hoya's win over a deflated and old Chavez) ever beat another all time great.

Accept it for what it is: the truth. Stop calling us "haters" and whatever other lame **** you like to throw around, we're veterans of the sport and we call it like it is. I'm sorry if this is unacceptable to you but in time you'll forget all about it.
    This type of **** doesn't get my hater label... it's the, "WTF is Floyd doing on the P4P lists, he hasn't fought anyone!!11" **** that gets the hater label.

I think right now Floyd is an all time great, but only from the standpoint of ability, certainly not accomplishment.

Comment

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
      This type of **** doesn't get my hater label... it's the, "WTF is Floyd doing on the P4P lists, he hasn't fought anyone!!11" **** that gets the hater label.

I think right now Floyd is an all time great, but only from the standpoint of ability, certainly not accomplishment.
      I'm certainly not a hater, I was at one time but after he beat Oscar he earned my respect. He's definitely the #1 pound for pound fighter in the sport, and the greatest fighter of his generation. I'm just pointing out for all the newer Mayweather fans that in order to become an all time great, you must beat another all time great.

The only way I see Mayweather being added to that list, would be if he were to completely wipe out anybody in his division that the public thinks might give him trouble. Guys like Hatton, Cotto, Mosley, etc...If he were to do that I think he'd make the list somewhere in the 90's out of the top 100.

Comment

FINALLY, SOMEONE HAS SAID IT, THANK YOU CHRIST!!!!

(AKA THE BRINGER)

Comment

Originally posted by ATWA View Post
          FINALLY, SOMEONE HAS SAID IT, THANK YOU CHRIST!!!!

(AKA THE BRINGER)
          I had to get it off my chest, some of these teenage newbie Mayweather lovers have no clue what they're talking about. I doubt many of them know that much about the sport in general, other than Mayweather's accomplishments of course. Hell, they probably saw his ass on "Cribs" and decided to watch him fight and have been swinging on his nuts ever since.

This is not true of all Mayweather fans, just the ones who are teenagers or don't know much about the sport. I'm a Mayweather fan and I like to think I know something about the sport, otherwise I've wasted 15 years of my life. Honestly I doubt many of them realize what exactly it takes to make that coveted list, that's why they spout off about it so much.

I hope this thread stays bumped for a few days so they can all read it and reply, hopefully in an intelligent and informed fashion.

Comment

I hope this thread stays bumped for a few days so they can all read it and reply, hopefully in an intelligent and informed fashion.
            Don't press your luck.

Comment

Don't press your luck.
              I don't think I'm asking much, you're somewhat of a newbie and a Mayweather fan and you've proven yourself to be a worthy and intelligent poster. Of course, I know they won't all be like you and I expect some ******ed ramblings that would make this dude seem intelligent...

Comment

Spot on call DWiens. I second that.

Comment

Originally posted by brently1979 View Post
                  Spot on call DWiens. I second that.
                  There's no doubt Mayweather is one of the most talented to ever step in the ring, but a case can never be made on ability alone. This is a sport of accomplishments, on a who beat who basis. Nobody ever made it onto the list of all time greats on abilities alone, you must have both.

I agree with your opinion on Mayweather's talent though.

Comment

I don't think I'm asking much, you're somewhat of a newbie and a Mayweather fan and you've proven yourself to be a worthy and intelligent poster. Of course, I know they won't all be like you and I expect some ******ed ramblings that would make this dude seem intelligent...

I don't think objectivity has anything to do with how much boxing experience you have. I don't talk about how good Ricky Hatton is, because I have only seen one of his fights. I have commented on how he looked against Castillo (great), and that is it.

I have only been watching live boxing since January 07, so I still have a lot to learn, but I don't think it's hard to be objective. Some boxers have flaws, but none of them "suck" (except for Arturo Gatti ) I gave credit where it is due.

I just don't know why this is so hard to do for some of the people on this forum, so I too am glad that you posted this. Hopefully it is a wake up call to some of the biased posters on here.

Comment

Working...
                    X