Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Cobra versus The Saint. Who've you got?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cobra versus The Saint. Who've you got?

Without stating the bleedin' obvious Froch v Groves is a terrific fight; it matches a proven, battle-hardened veteran world champion (showing no visible signs of decline) with a far younger, undefeated and very talented contender who has been 'earmarked' as a potential 'world champion-in-waiting' for several years now.

A couple of rhetorical questions to (hopefully) get us all in the mood....

Is this a colossal tactical mistake by Groves and Booth or have they got the timing of this fight just right? George is now more than ready and it is time to make the charge.

Is Groves actually Carl's nightmare opponent right now? Fast, young, slick and a properly hard-hitter from all angles and potentially a far harder proposition than a recycled Kessler or the always over-rated Bute.

How does Groves actually win this one? By sticking, moving and doing his own impersonation of Andre Ward (never allowing Froch to find a rhythm or plant his feet and punch hard) or does he meet power-with-power.

i think its gonna go like froch vs bute. froch has been in with enough cute fighters to know what not to do against them. if groves does go toe to toe with froch i dont think his gonna last long. froch to win via beatdown. groves should go to middleweight.

Comment

I would back Froch. I am probably more of a Groves fan but think he will struggle not to get involved in a tear up. I think if Groves fights intelligently he has a chance I think Booth tatically can be very astute. This could be the difference as I can't see Froch doing anything other than his usual.
      Whilst some might see it as a weakness that he has been tested by the likes of Anderson, I think Groves's will should not be underestimated.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodyshot3 View Post
        Is this a colossal tactical mistake by Groves and Booth or have they got the timing of this fight just right?
        I don't think they can say it's a mistake if he loses as he's been British & Commonwealth Champion. If he's not good enough to beat Froch then he's not good enough but you have to take the chance if you're in the position.

But for Groves to win he has to be better than he's ever been before. Froch at 50% could beat the best we've seen of George so far so how many extra gears does he have.

At the moment I'm going with Carl on points after hard fought battle in which Grove's stock rises.

Or that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

Either way, I just want a great fight.

Comment

I've got nothing but respect for Froch for taking this fight.

Reminds me of the way Calzaghe ducked Froch before he retired, Froch has got the balls to give the up and comer a chance.

Comment

"with a far younger, undefeated and very talented contender who has been 'earmarked' as a potential 'world champion-in-waiting' for several years now."

This is pretty accurate.

Comment

I think to say Froch at 50% could beat the bets Groves is an exageration.
              As the for ducking nonsense leave it out

I just hope Groves gives a good account of himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Funky_Monk View Post
                I think to say Froch at 50% could beat the bets Groves is an exageration.
                As the for ducking nonsense leave it out

I just hope Groves gives a good account of himself.
                Maybe you didn't read it properly, Mr Funky.

I said that 50% of Froch is better than the best of what we've seen from George SO FAR.

Then I talk about George needing to find extra gears. None of us know how much better Groves can be because it hasn't happened yet. He may whitewash Carl or may might get Bute'd. That's why this fight is intriguing.

Comment

Fortunately I am one of the few that can read here, your response highlights the issue we don't know what Groves best is yet.
                  That's why I said it's unfair to say that 50% would beat the best Groves, I guess what I meant was of what he has achieved so far. That's what you seemd to be implying as well. Anyway thats semantics.

I agree it should be a good fight. I like that Groves has travelled for good sparring to and seems to be goign about things the right way.

I hope should Froch win he will be gracious in victory but that might be asking a bit much.

Comment

Groves in a disputed decision will do me.

Comment

Working...
                    X