Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Duran that beat Leonard and Palimino

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Leonard fought very well and did what he "forced" into. He couldn't box on the outside against that Duran. As I've said many times a motivated Duran in great shape can do big things that others can't. He was a highly intelligent boxer and a terrific fighter.
    Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by atomicsad View Post
      Anyone have an idea why Duran chose to box Benitez rather than get aggressive like he did in the first Leonard fight?
      I'm guessing he simply didn't have the engine to do it at that point in time.

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
      I get annoyed when people try almost to diminish Duran's performance against Leonard by saying stuff like "...well, Leonard lost that fight because he wanted to trade instead of box".

The truth of the matter is that Leonard could have fought any way he liked. Duran had the skills and determination to adapt and win.

They forget that against any other opponent Leonard would have won by KO or convincing points margin. He fought like a tiger and silenced those doubters who considered him all "showbiz" and no substance.

I don't know how many times he ratcheted up the pressure on Duran thinking he would crack. He was still doing it at the end of the fight but no matter how high he pushed his performance Duran just kept on stepping higher.

THAT is the truth about the first fight. Not this pro-Leonard mythology which has Ray foolishly gifting Duran victory.
      It is annoying that the history of the Leonard-Duran fights, at least in the English language, seems to come straight from Leonard's own mouth.

Comment

Styles make fights for a reason. I'm sticking with Benitez

Comment

I get annoyed when people try almost to diminish Duran's performance against Leonard by saying stuff like "...well, Leonard lost that fight because he wanted to trade instead of box".
          Angelo Dundee was begging him to box, it's not really a myth that he didn't fight to his best advantage in Montreal. Not to take anything away from Duran who was great that night.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Angelo Dundee was begging him to box, it's not really a myth that he didn't fight to his best advantage in Montreal. Not to take anything away from Duran who was great that night.
            Srl fought the same way as always, a boxer puncher. He never boxed and ran. Whats even funnier is the no Mas fight was dead even when duran mysteriously quit.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
              Whats even funnier is the no Mas fight was dead even when duran mysteriously quit.
              I recently watched it again, and you speak the truth. I don't know if it was quite even, but Duran was not far behind. I watched that fight in real time on closed circuit, and man what a disappointment.

On his blitzkreig course through the welterweights Roberto also fiercely beat up a hot prospect I had my eye on, Monroe Brooks. Brooks could knock your head off, was fast too, but had some flaws. Duran exploited those flaws and pretty much savaged his career, consigning him to the scrap heap of history.
              Last edited by The Old LefHook; 03-02-2015, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                I recently watched it again, and you speak the truth. I don't know if it was quite even, but Duran was not far behind. I watched that fight in real time on closed circuit, and man what a disappointment.

On his blitzkreig course through the welterweights Roberto also fiercely beat up a hot prospect I had my eye on, Monroe Brooks. Brooks could knock your head off, was fast too, but had some flaws. Duran exploited those flaws and pretty much savaged his career, consigning him to the scrap heap of history.
                Yes stopped him with a body shot

Comment

The truth of the matter is that Leonard could have fought any way he liked. Duran had the skills and determination to adapt and win.

They forget that against any other opponent Leonard would have won by KO or convincing points margin. He fought like a tiger and silenced those doubters who considered him all "showbiz" and no substance.

I don't know how many times he ratcheted up the pressure on Duran thinking he would crack. He was still doing it at the end of the fight but no matter how high he pushed his performance Duran just kept on stepping higher.

THAT is the truth about the first fight. Not this pro-Leonard mythology which has Ray foolishly gifting Duran victory.

You're wrong. SRL is a boxing God. He lost the first fight, fighting Duran's fight like he said he would. Do you remember that? Duran pissed Leonard off and Leonard promised not to run. How come Duran couldn't finish Leonard? Afterall, he did fight his fight as promised. I tell you why. Because SRL is a Legend, just like Duran and once in a life-time fighter. That's why. And last time I checked, the fight was RAZOR close, still. SRL dominated the 15th round and I think he either pulled it out or it was a draw. In the rematch and third fight, you saw the genius of SRL. He outboxed and outsmarted Duran. So when we say SRL fought Duran's fight, we meant it. It's common sense. Leonard promised to fight Duran toe-to-toe. in the first fight and he did. If he would've boxed, he would've won. Duran to me, is the greatest lightweight ever and the most violent fighter I've ever seen in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by GOD-FR33 View Post
                    You're wrong. SRL is a boxing God. He lost the first fight, fighting Duran's fight like he said he would. Do you remember that? Duran pissed Leonard off and Leonard promised not to run. How come Duran couldn't finish Leonard? Afterall, he did fight his fight as promised. I tell you why. Because SRL is a Legend, just like Duran and once in a life-time fighter. That's why. And last time I checked, the fight was RAZOR close, still. SRL dominated the 15th round and I think he either pulled it out or it was a draw. In the rematch and third fight, you saw the genius of SRL. He outboxed and outsmarted Duran. So when we say SRL fought Duran's fight, we meant it. It's common sense. Leonard promised to fight Duran toe-to-toe. in the first fight and he did. If he would've boxed, he would've won. Duran to me, is the greatest lightweight ever and the most violent fighter I've ever seen in the ring.

Lol. most people on this forum know SRL is great. But some don't seem to think Duran is. These people don't know **** about boxing, as roger Mayweather would say. they let marketing and advertising sway their opinion.

SRL did fight "his fight". Its a myth that he did not. watch his career up until the Duran fight. Leonard was a boxer puncher and this is exactly how he koed Benitez.

The problem is Duran had an up and down career, he blew up in between fights and didn't always show up in shape. But all the way from LW up until the SRL fight, Duran was a monster. Damn near unbeatable.

When SRL boxed and moved, he hardly wooped Duran - the no mas makes the fight significant...but actually watch the fight. SRL NEVER really beat Duran.

Its easy to say SRL won the last round, but Duran was at least 3 rounds up, staggered SRL numerous times and rolled the majority of SRL's punches. He did all this and the man was a natural lightweight. If you are going to give SRL bonus points for being a WW and fighting Hagler, Give Duran a few for fighting a WW in SRL.
                    Last edited by them_apples; 03-03-2015, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                      Lol. most people on this forum know SRL is great. But some don't seem to think Duran is. These people don't know **** about boxing, as roger Mayweather would say. they let marketing and advertising sway their opinion.

SRL did fight "his fight". Its a myth that he did not. watch his career up until the Duran fight. Leonard was a boxer puncher and this is exactly how he koed Benitez.

The problem is Duran had an up and down career, he blew up in between fights and didn't always show up in shape. But all the way from LW up until the SRL fight, Duran was a monster. Damn near unbeatable.

When SRL boxed and moved, he hardly wooped Duran - the no mas makes the fight significant...but actually watch the fight. SRL NEVER really beat Duran.

Its easy to say SRL won the last round, but Duran was at least 3 rounds up, staggered SRL numerous times and rolled the majority of SRL's punches. He did all this and the man was a natural lightweight. If you are going to give SRL bonus points for being a WW and fighting Hagler, Give Duran a few for fighting a WW in SRL.
                      When Ray says he didn't fight his fight in Montreal what he means is he didn't totally utilize his advantages, & made the 1st bout way more difficult than it had to be considering his skillset...

Fighting "your" fight simply means doing what you have to do to WIN in the most efficient way considering your skills & that of your opponent...There is no preset map to victory & the route taken will vary from fight to fight, fighter to fighter...

I agree "no mas" was not some massacre where Sugar Ray beat Duran down...The actual action inside the ring that night has been greatly exaggerated by Leonard fans...At the same time Ray was definitely in control & things weren't lookin good for Roberto....Ray was gonna put hands on him with more frequency as the fight went on....Duran basically avoided the inevitable but your correct in that Ray hadn't begun to DOMINATE yet...

Comment

Working...
                      X