Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many rounds can you do on the heavybag?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many rounds can you do on the heavybag?

I started out doing 4 rounds. Then 6. Now I'm at 8. My goal is to do 12 rounds 4-5 days every week.

At 8 rounds I gas out really badly. My arms get tired. I start throwing sloppy punches, not moving my head, and standing flat footed. How can I improve my conditioning?
    Less than 4
    0.00%
    8.33%
    25.00%
    25.00%
    25.00%
    0.00%
    More than 12
    16.67%

when your arms get so tired that you can not punch anymore.... you punch more. Mind over body...........

Comment

That's a lot of heavybag work your doing there.

I don't know what level you're at or anything but a few rounds of combinations on the heavy bag is enough I reckon because sparring, focus mitts and double end bag is far superior for skills training.

But what I would do in conjunction is probably even more brutal than what your doing from a conditioning point of view is interval punch sprints on the heavy bag.

I do 1 minute rounds all out sprints with straight punches and hooks too on very hard and heavy tear drop bag, 9 of them all up with a 2 minute rest in between these rounds to most fully utilise the lactate system (but also thrashing the creating and aerobic systems too).

This equates to 3x3minute rounds of total work time but all at maximum potential.

MY power, speed and stamina went through the roof and now regular heavybag work is just so easy it's not funny.

In my opinion this is one of the most gut wrenching and important conditioning exercises for boxers of all of them. Guys who don't do them are at a serious disadvantage imo.

Comment

I do 8 rounds but I think that is close to the max that you should do, then spend your time else where, double end, shadow boxing, etc.

Just keep at it, your body will get used to it soon.

Check out punch out drills if you want, that is what elroy is talking about.
        Last edited by RAV3N; 07-05-2015, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Depends on the day, and what I'm working on.

Ideally I would like to get about 6-8 rounds, depending on if time permits. I know a lot of people tend to do only 3-4.

It also is heavily dictated by what the intensity level you're working out.

Comment

I'm not sure because I never max out on the bag, and I never just work the heavy bag. Usually I start off with roadwork, 20 minutes of skipping, some shadowboxing and calisthenics and only then do I move on to the bag, typically 4-6 rounds, and then I finish off with some more shadowboxing but mainly footwork.

Comment

Originally posted by punchr View Post
              I started out doing 4 rounds. Then 6. Now I'm at 8. My goal is to do 12 rounds 4-5 days every week.

At 8 rounds I gas out really badly. My arms get tired. I start throwing sloppy punches, not moving my head, and standing flat footed. How can I improve my conditioning?
              If Your arms get tired before your legs, then you need to go back to the basics and work on form. The legs are the key to everything. 8 rounds on the heavy bag is really good if that's the only workout you do. In the ring you could probably fight for 12 rounds, that is if you go hard af on the heavy bag for those 8. My suggestion for conditioning is to do more calisthenics or tone down the pace on the heavy bag. I only do 3 rounds on the heavy bag because I'm not trying to gas out and I do work on other bags 3 rounds each. I try to get in at least 90 punches per round while doing this. Good Luck

Comment

I use to work out with a mauy Thai fighter, and we use to do this thing once every few months we called it 30-30.

For an entire hour straight we switch off on the heavy bag every 30 seconds. So he goes, and after 30 seconds I say switch, he jumps out the way and I go as hard as I can for 30 seconds, and so on.

That **** was brutal, I would wake up the next day and from my neck down my body Would be so full of acid, it was almost painful to move. But I loved it because mentally it taught me how to work hard when I'm exhausted.

Comment

I can do about 6. I started off trying to bend the 150 pound bag in half with each punch, but now I am focused on having a steady quantity of punches and becoming more accurate instead of just trying to kill the bag. I guess the veterans in the gym tell me that the power will be there and just to focus on good technique. Sometimes I try burning myself out and seeing how many fast punches I can throw until I am gassed, then I force myself to throw punches at that point when it really hurts. I'm at the point where I can "rest" by stepping back and doing lateral movement while sticking jabs and then step in for a 5 or 6 punch burst frequently. Man, that hurts when your arms are dead, but I think it helps stamina big time.

Comment

Working...
                  X