Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strategies for fighting a taller/bigger boxer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm sparring again tomorrow so will try some of your advice and let you know how it goes.

Comment

Pretty much what alot of these guys have said. Go to the body to drop their hands, then up top while their guard is down, like 1moreround said - the overhand right is a killer then, really step into it, and once you're inside stick to the body then hoks up the the head. Being on their chest you'll have taken away their biggest asset - their reach. They can't get their punches out at full length. Watch out for the upper cut though. Change up the angle on them as well. if they're throwing hooks bob under them and come up on that side, let your hands go and come up on the other side.

I've had success fighting bigger guys this way, sometimes you have to make the fight rough but it'll pay dividends.

Comment

I sparred another bigger and taller guy today. He wasn't quite as agressive as the other guy so it gave me a bit more time/space to suss him out and try some of the advice you guys gave.

However, he was a southpaw and it's the first time I've sparred with a southpaw so that provided some challenges.

I found stepping in and slightly to the left (because he's a southpaw), crouching slightly and firing a right straight to the body was really effective. I landed this five or six times and the guy told me afterwards that one of those punches nearly forced him to quit as he felt like throwing up.

I enjoy having the time to think and try different things, rather than all-out brawling, but I realise I'm not always going to have that luxury.

I would like to try some of the things you all suggested against an orthodox boxer so my jab could be used to better effect in setting up other punches and allowing me to get inside.

Still keen to hear any other tips.

Cheers.

Comment

loads of good stuff already said, i would just add that when closing the distance do it quick, be out of range moving about ect counter jabbing - then step in with either over hand right or left hook then you want to be right infront of him slightly crouched like mike tyson or michael katsidis thats when you get your heavy bag training into play. hook , uppercut - defend, left hook right straight -defend, body body head -defend this also helps your stamina as you dont have to spend time moving like mad around a ring, your pretty much leaning slightly on your oppenent just twitching left and right and use your shoulders and arms to defend. watch a few videos of james toney aswell for expert display of close range fighting.

Comment

Time his punches and then jab to counter and get in or throw a straight right. But once you're in stay in and throw hands like you're about to drown, until the ref breaks.

Comment

Working...
            X