No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: This Road Trip Feels Like Home For Matthew Macklin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: This Road Trip Feels Like Home For Matthew Macklin

By Jake Donovan - The last time Matthew Macklin hit the road was also the last time he stepped foot in a boxing ring.

Needless to say, the past nine months have been filled with anxious moments and bitter memories.

“I beat Felix Sturm from pillar to post,” Macklin (28-3, 18KO) said of last June’s middleweight title challenge, in which he traveled all the way to Germany only to land on the wrong end of one of the worst decisions of the year. “Anyone who saw that fight knows it was a bad decision.”

Having not fought since then, it’s fair to question why the UK-based boxer would cross the Atlantic to fight Sergio Martinez this weekend in New York City. Macklin will be thousands of miles of home, facing the best middleweight in the world without the benefit of a confidence builder in between.

Perhaps a fair response would be that Macklin and his handlers gained all the confidence they needed in winning last year’s title challenge in every way but officially.

“It wasn’t just a victory, it was an ass-whooping,” noted Lou DiBella, never one to mix words. The New York-based promoter signed Macklin to a promotional contract soon after the Sturm robbery. [Click Here To Read More]

He thinks the big Irish population of New York will come out to support him? Does he think it is the 1930s or something?

Comment

What's this about Sergio struggling in training camp? Hadn't heard anything about that until this article.

Comment

Martinez said he had a messed up left elbow and leg (old injury) for the Barker fight, but apparently he got them fixed in Spain recently. No excuses this time I guess. Hopefully we get a decent fight before Martinez knocks Macklin out.

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        What's this about Sergio struggling in training camp? Hadn't heard anything about that until this article.
        Floydhype started the rumor yesterday.
        Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 03-13-2012, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Irish community?...I wonder if any of those so-called "paddies" were actually born in Ireland?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
            He thinks the big Irish population of New York will come out to support him? Does he think it is the 1930s or something?
            Only if the camera man and production crew can change the film to sepia. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
              By Jake Donovan - The last time Matthew Macklin hit the road was also the last time he stepped foot in a boxing ring.

Needless to say, the past nine months have been filled with anxious moments and bitter memories.

“I beat Felix Sturm from pillar to post,” Macklin (28-3, 18KO) said of last June’s middleweight title challenge, in which he traveled all the way to Germany only to land on the wrong end of one of the worst decisions of the year. “Anyone who saw that fight knows it was a bad decision.”

Having not fought since then, it’s fair to question why the UK-based boxer would cross the Atlantic to fight Sergio Martinez this weekend in New York City. Macklin will be thousands of miles of home, facing the best middleweight in the world without the benefit of a confidence builder in between.

Perhaps a fair response would be that Macklin and his handlers gained all the confidence they needed in winning last year’s title challenge in every way but officially.

“It wasn’t just a victory, it was an ass-whooping,” noted Lou DiBella, never one to mix words. The New York-based promoter signed Macklin to a promotional contract soon after the Sturm robbery. [Click Here To Read More]
              Maybe who knows, He might get knocked out at his home more then we know.

Comment

Originally posted by right hand jab View Post
                Irish community?...I wonder if any of those so-called "paddies" were actually born in Ireland?
                it doesn't really matter. i've been to the states many times and there are a sick amount of people who claim to be irish but don't actually know **** about the country(i.e. they think we're all farmers who sit around drinking guinness all day). however, these people will all show up for the fight anyway because they think they're "irish". it's not a legit irish fanbase, but they'll jump on the bandwagon particularly because of the day that's in it.

Comment

Macklin looking in shape.

Comment

I wish the Shanty luck but I see him taking a beating in this one. If he can put some hands on Sergio and win hey, good for him. I just do not see it though. When the only fighter anyone has heard of on your resume is a loss to Sturm (even though he did win that in actuality) it is hard to favor him. The only fighters that have given Sergio real trouble and/or beat him are Margarito, Williams and Barker. Margarito is an offensive machine who throws 100+ punches a round with an iron chin, Williams is an inhuman whirlwind who throws 100+ punches around from every angle imaginable, and Barker was a high-guard, peek a boo style fighter with great fundamentals. Macklin, is none of the above. Unless Macklin can throw 80-100 punches a round and take everything Sergio throws at him, I can't see him winning this.

Comment

Working...
                    X