Ward/Dirrell not happening?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ward/Dirrell not happening?

By Hector Linares

********** has been hearing some serious rumblings that undefeated WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward and Andre Dirrell will not be fighting on September 25 in their stage 3 bout of the Super Six World Boxing. No venue has been announced, tickets are not on sale and we also understand that neither boxer is in training camp as this goes to print. Ward and Dirrell's friendship has been well documented and it should be most interesting to see if they ever fight each other. Dirrell's future in the tournament greatly depends on the result of his fight with Ward, which is as attractive a match-up that Showtime could have ever hoped for. Remember where you heard it first!

From boxing talk

man. iwas hoping this fight would be in detroit so i could go and see it. now it might not even happen...this fight with them being friends and all is starting to lose it's luster. I know they both are competitive but it is starting to be hard to see them going hard against 1 another.

Comment

If this happens, the Super Six is a complete disaster.

Comment

Comment

dirrell is in training

Comment

The super six is becoming more of a joke as each round goes by.
            Round 1 - Taylor quits.
            Round 2 - Green complains endless about the weight & Froch refuses to fight anywhere that makes sense.
            Round 3 - a whole fight not happening.

Will it even see the knock out stage, let alone a final?

Comment

The problem here is Andre Ward is afraid to fight outside Oakland.

His home referees allow him to hold a lot to protect his chin. He feels he needs to cheat with deliberate headbutts and hitting while holding in order to win.

Comment

I won't believe that for a minute. They knew from the beginning they were bound to face each other. This would definitely kill the whole tournament.
                Last edited by rochemback; 08-13-2010, 08:32 AM.

Comment

The article IF its true, says te fight will not be happening on Sept 25th

Which i take as a postponment rather than cancelation

Comment

The achilles-heel of the supersix koncept has been the choice of venue all the way through. Those constant reschedulings is potentially fatal for following tournaments.

Unfortunately.

But one can understand the the promotors given the fact that homefield has been a huge advantage in several fights.

I hope they reach an agreement soon and think they will do exactly that. Too much money to be lost if they do not.

Comment

Working...
                    X