Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Bernard Hopkins one of the classic, Throwback fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Bernard Hopkins one of the classic, Throwback fighters?

I think he is.

This guy has the balls to fight anyone even at his old age, and to beat them. And his skills, his style, it just reminds me of the old fighters that didn't care who they were fighting.

Hopkins isn't just a warrior, but he's a very skilled technician with a chin.

Kinda hard to be a throwback when you're 892. But really, yeah he is. He uses all those old school tricks, fights wherever he can get a fight and isn't afraid of anyone.

Comment

He prides himself on being an old school type boxer, he's said in past interviews that
      "I'm cut from the cloth of Ezzard Charles, Archie Moore, those guys".

Yeah, he is.

Comment

Definitely. He's never turned down any offer, and despite his age, is calling out the best possible opposition.

Comment

Yes, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by southerndandy View Post
            Definitely. He's never turned down any offer, and despite his age, is calling out the best possible opposition.
            Hopkins has an awesome resume and is an ATG. But the truth is that he has turned down plenty of offers. Many conversations about big fights with him never happened because he didn't accept them. And it was hardly a secret that he wanted no part of Chad Dawson when he was the champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              Hopkins has an awesome resume and is an ATG. But the truth is that he has turned down plenty of offers. Many conversations about big fights with him never happened because he didn't accept them. And it was hardly a secret that he wanted no part of Chad Dawson when he was the champion.
              Like who? Dawson is really the only name one can make a case for, but being that hopkins is in the twilight of his career and after money, it's understandable.

Hopkins has done something pretty amazing, the level of opposition. He's fought a number of undefeated fighters and number of guys with just one loss. Here is just a highlight going back to tito:

Trinidad - 40-0
              Eastman -40-1
              Taylor - 23-0
              Calzaghe - 44-0
              Pavlik - 34-0
              Pascal - 26 -1

That's a combined record of 207 - 2. And to think 4 of those guys listed he fought over the age of 40 (everyone but tito). That's pretty remarkable.

And then of course if we go to the beggening of his career he fought an undefeated Joe Lipsey (25-0), Roy Jones Jr (21-0),. Roy Ritchie (14-0), Glen Johnson (32-0) and a handful of guys with 1-2 losses like Keith Holmes, Echols, Allen, John David Jackson, Mercado, etc.
              Last edited by ИATAS; 12-24-2010, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Yeah he is and he should be teaching current boxers how to grow a pair of balls. The modern era with so many guys just winning one alphabet belt and calling themselves the best makes me want to puke.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  Yeah he is and he should be teaching current boxers how to grow a pair of balls. The modern era with so many guys just winning one alphabet belt and calling themselves the best makes me want to puke.
                  I have thought the same thing I really want Hopkins to become a trainer once he retires I think he could be one of the best. Only problem is that I think I heard him say something about not wanting to train boxers. I still think he may become a trainer though, for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
                    I have thought the same thing I really want Hopkins to become a trainer once he retires I think he could be one of the best. Only problem is that I think I heard him say something about not wanting to train boxers. I still think he may become a trainer though, for some reason.
                    Great fighters usually don't make successful trainers. Being a multi millionaire doesn't make it easier for Hopkins. I think his ego is too big to be a ten percenter. Some very good ex fighters make good trainers (Mustapha Muhammad, McGirt, Benton, Robert Garcia, etc.)

Comment

Working...
                    X