No announcement yet.

Drinking at work functions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking at work functions?

I've got a weekend conference coming up, and there is going to be the yearly awards thing and then an after-party.

I have heard that these "parties" are absolutely brutal, but to be honest i'm not really looking forward to it.

It's going to be one of those things where if you don't drink, everyone will think your a ****ing weirdo, but I don't really fancy getting pissed up in front of senior management, and possibly coming out with some stupid **** (which i tend to do while drunk)

Anyone got any tips on how I can seem like i'm drinking, but actually am not.

Man up, do a few lines, and tell them to all go fuk themselves.

Or, think to yourself...what would Marvin do?

Probably act drunk just to fit in. smh.

Comment

I don't understand why you can't just abstain from drinking without being looked upon as some kind of outcast, but if you want to assimilate into the crowd of drunks I'd advise you to do so in a very methodical nature to avoid being caught off-guard by the buzz and spurting off at the mouth and looking like a complete ****.

Take your time, limit yourself to 3 or 4 drinks, be thoughtful and don't rush it. Nobody knows your limit better than you do, so keep that in mind and stay below it. If they have some sort of food available (typically finger foods) you may want to consider eating as well. I know anytime I get too drunk a quick bit of snacking helps sober me up, it's a very slight change in sensing, but sometimes that's all it takes to separate me from an enjoyable buzz and being completely obliterated.

Comment

Apple juice looks like draft beer, Plain coke with a stir looks like rum and coke. Not hard.

I have a guideline I use for drinking with clients/bosses/company owners that might help here.
        Drink as much as your superiors, so if all the bosses just sip one drink all night but you co-worker get sht-faced, do it like the bosses. If you bosses get sht-faced, do what they do but don't get more drunk than them(but don't get carried away). That would be my guide line. If you bosses can really handle their liquor, cheat. Switch between water/juice and booze(and make sure you aren't drinking on an empty stomach.

I have been to alot of business parties and I have done well with this. Have fun though.

Comment

Working...
        X