Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Eddie Hearn Rips at Frank Warren: He's a Dinosaur!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Eddie Hearn Rips at Frank Warren: He's a Dinosaur!

Promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sport is ripping out at his domestic rival, Frank Warren, over comments made in a separate interview. Hearn claims Warren is using Carl Froch's name to promote WBO light heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly.

A few weeks ago Warren made an offer to Hearn for Froch to move up in weight to face Cleverly - but he says Warren knew the fight would never happen because Froch has a contractual commitment to fight Lucian Bute in a March rematch and the Nottingham star has no intention of moving up in weight. [Click Here To Read More]

I like the atmosphere at both Warren and Hearn fights - both have put on some absolute crackers. Hayemaker cards usally fantastic too, as are Hatton's shows.

In short - I think live boxing in the UK is great. It's the TV side that's irritating. BoxNation is an absolute joke - I cancelled my online subscription as I kept having problems with logging in and payments. And to watch boxing on Sky you need all the other channels. There needs to be more terrestrial TV - or a single, quality channel with ALL the fights.

Comment

Don't know where Hearn's getting the idea that he puts on better 'new age' shows? Their respective shows are pretty comparable. The biggest British fight this year - for atmosphere, especially - was Haye-Chisora, which Warren promoted very well (I was there). A close second was probably Froch-Bute in Nottingham. I don't see that Hearn's doing anything particularly innovative with his promoting, though. Warren has good links and relationships with Golden Boy and Top Rank, which I'm unsure Hearn has - the only experience he really has with Golden Boy was co-promoting Khan-McCloskey which ended up in a big rift between both camps and some real unprofessional bickering instigated by Hearn and Camp McCloskey.

As for BoxNation, I subscribe and have had no problems. It's a decent station, very cheap (£10/month), though there is quite a lot of repeats and I'd appreciate more classic footage - even old Naz/Eubank/Hatton fights. They must have shown Bellew-Cleverly and Burns-Katsidis about 300 times since the station got started!

Comment

My issue was regarding BoxNation's online subscription...had a nightmare logging in sometimes and kept having to contact customer services (who would take around 48 hours to respond). I ended up missing a couple of big fights cause of it - including Mitchell v Burns!! Final straw came when they said I hadn't paid for a month, but I checked with my bank and the Direct Debit had gone out. So I cancelled; real shame as some great fights.

I think the TV accessed BoxNation is good value IF you have Sky or Virgin already, but I don't. Sure it's a bit spit 'n sawdust in terms of quality, but some good fights there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilrain View Post
          Don't know where Hearn's getting the idea that he puts on better 'new age' shows? Their respective shows are pretty comparable. The biggest British fight this year - for atmosphere, especially - was Haye-Chisora, which Warren promoted very well (I was there). A close second was probably Froch-Bute in Nottingham. I don't see that Hearn's doing anything particularly innovative with his promoting, though. Warren has good links and relationships with Golden Boy and Top Rank, which I'm unsure Hearn has - the only experience he really has with Golden Boy was co-promoting Khan-McCloskey which ended up in a big rift between both camps and some real unprofessional bickering instigated by Hearn and Camp McCloskey.

As for BoxNation, I subscribe and have had no problems. It's a decent station, very cheap (£10/month), though there is quite a lot of repeats and I'd appreciate more classic footage - even old Naz/Eubank/Hatton fights. They must have shown Bellew-Cleverly and Burns-Katsidis about 300 times since the station got started!
          haye - Chisroa may have been the biggest british fight, but as an overall event the card was poor.

Warren seems to no longer put on shows where the whole card is good which is ideally what you want.

Hearn is putting on events where all the fights are good, thats the difference.

Comment

The reason haye-chisora bill weren't that great was because of the licence problem but to be fair warren ain't got many great fighters left. Chisora ain't great cleverly is over rated in my opinion. Cos his to inactive and only fight bums. But I'm just a boxing fan who ever is promoting. Even hennessy shows on channel 5. Just wish there was boxing on every Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by rampant View Post
              haye - Chisroa may have been the biggest british fight, but as an overall event the card was poor.

Warren seems to no longer put on shows where the whole card is good which is ideally what you want.

Hearn is putting on events where all the fights are good, thats the difference.
              I detest Frank Warren, but I think you have to give credit where it is due. There were massive issues with the undercard of the Haye Chisora fight for very obvious reasons. It was always going to be difficult to stack that card with meaningful fights. On the whole though, he has done a splendid job over the last 2 or 3 years, putting on some of the most stacked cards you will find anywhere in the world. There were a number of 'magnificent 7' type cards where Warren threw most of his fighters out there in the same night, then there was the Groves/Degale fight which had a world title fight on the undercard, amongst others. There have been exceptions but these were mainly due to fighters pulling out rather than Warren taking liberties.

Credit to Eddie Hearn too, he has been a breath of fresh air on the British boxing scene. Lou Dibella and Dan Goosen both seemed to enjoy working with him during the super 6 so I would imagine that he is more than able to work alongside the big players like GoldenBoy when that time comes. He's a likeable bloke for the most part and understands what the fight fans want.

Comment

Working...
              X