Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damn, really bummed my boy Mares lost this bad

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, didnt like to see him lose either. Like Mares, but that left hook was simply amazing and landed in the perfect spot. Props to Gonzales for the big victory. Looking forward to seeing how Mares responds.

Comment

Mares will be fine. He's a world class fighter, very likable, good back story, best promotional outfit in the world. Sometimes 1 dude is a style nightmare, it is what it is. Mares will be a redemption story.

Comment

[NSB]Mares got an L, he's a BUM[\NSB]

Honestly, whoever counted Jhonny Gonzalez out beforehand got a rude awakening of how beautiful this sport is..never count the hunger of a man out..

I do believe Mares slightly underestimated Gonzalez, on top of Nacho knowing what Mares' weaknesses are.

Mares expected to fight in spurts and rush his way in and be on the attack all night, while keeping Gonzalez on his heels..Gonzalez played along for the first 2min of the round before planting his feet and throwing that lead left hook..

I was bummed too..but after watching again..Mares started to get overconfident and reckless as usual..big no no against big punchers..and paid the consequence..He can beat Gonzalez..he just needs to actually have a plan.

Comment

I've never been this down about a fighter since... Pacman got KOed. Didn't even give me a year to recover.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by trfcdan86 View Post
            It's hard for a fighter to come back after losing in such a way.

I believe his days in the elite are over, he'll always have it in the back of his head that he can be KOd so easily!
            Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
            Hmm.. Interesting to see how many people think his elite days are behind him now. One loss doesn't define a career, and sure it was a good stoppage but it wasn't a career ending knock out. Truth of the matter is he was still aware of his surroundings and he in fact wanted to continue. Now, if he was asleep for a few seconds or even minutes, it would be a completely different story...
            You never know how a fighter will respond after a bad KO loss, but it's really jumping the gun to say Abner's "elite days are over." Roberto Duran took a nasty second round KO loss versus Tommy Hearns and had plenty of career left. We'll have to wait and see how Mares reacts to this loss. Personally, I think he'll be okay, although Abner might want to reconsider the move up to 126.

Comment

Mares will be fine, look at the opponents he's had in the last 7 fights. I'm shocked he's undefeated, he was bound to lose.

I think it was just a perfect shot, he will be back and maybe even better. He will be more motivated once the emotions are gone and he has time to look at what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by V.WEBB View Post
                Yea, didnt like to see him lose either. Like Mares, but that left hook was simply amazing and landed in the perfect spot. Props to Gonzales for the big victory. Looking forward to seeing how Mares responds.
                At least he didn't get KO'd cold. He was still cognizant just not all there.

He should come back with much better defense next time.

Comment

Originally posted by shacasulu View Post
                  Damn this is worse than Donaire getting schooled by Rigo
                  But take comfort in knowing that it is how Mares comes back that will determine if he is special. Sometimes we all get caught up in not wanting to ever see our favorite fighters lose. But the reality is that they will lose. He has a great spirit and is always full of smiles and very likable. But lets see how he comes back. He got caught but he can take a good punch and has proven that. A surprise punch like that will make him better at defense and help him improve. It's hard for a fighter to improve if they don't have those weaknesses exposed so that they can find out how to minimize the mistakes. At his number of fights and his age and the non-stop top fighters he has faced, he will never be accused of being protected or ducking. He has a lot to hang his hat on. Also, I like Donaire and Rigo but too many people were banking on Donaire's power and Donaire was a little bit Prima Donna in the buildup to the Rigo fight. My co-worker personally knows Donaire and was close to him and his family in San Leandro and Donaire pretty much dumped his friends. Donaire needed a humbling and hopefully he gets back to the people who supported him. Rigo humbled him.
                  Last edited by richardt; 08-26-2013, 11:31 AM.

Comment

i was also bummed as he is my boy too. I never counted gonazales out i was worried before the fight. THe dude has power and landed a perfect shot. Also didnt help that he knew so much about him being that he sparred him and his trainer used to be nacho

Comment

I have never been so mad/sad/disappointed to see a fighter lose like that. He's my favorite fighter so to see him lose, mad it felt like someone knocked the wind out of me, it sucked. But I know Mares will come back better than before and pick up another belt plus some big wins. He's far from done, the guy who said his days as an elite are over is completely wrong, he's just now getting started. TEAM MARES, WARRRRRRRRRRR MARES!

Comment

Working...
                      X