No announcement yet.

How would Carlos Monzon fair today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    Because there's no incentive for fighters to hone their craft anymore.

Poet
    Can we blame the amateur system?

Comment

Originally posted by head shot View Post
      How would he fair against Hopkins,Pavlik Taylor?
      Pavlik and Taylor would get straight up KTFO. The problem with Hopkins is he hasn't been a prime Middleweight in around 10 years. In his prime, back around 2001, I'd say Hopkins Vs Monzon is a pretty even fight. But that 's the Hopkins of then not today.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by head shot View Post
        Can we blame the amateur system?
        Partially. The ams aren't really prep for the pro-game anymore: The objects of each sport are too different. But the pro game is just as much to blame. If a prospect has real talent he's protected. He fights as infrequently as possible against as weak a competition as can be gotten away with. He's steered to a title shot against the weakest belt holder and after winning the title he's available for big-money fights only. In Monzon's time you had to fight often, frequently against top competition. That's how a fighter hones his craft. By fighting. You couldn't save a fighter for a big money score because unless you were Muhammed Ali there weren't any big money scores. You had to fight frequently to make any real money. The incentives were completely different then.

Poet

Comment

Monzon would dominate at 160 lbs. Now if he moved up to 168, things could get interesting.

Comment

Monzon was a big boy @ 160, I have no doubt he would transfer his size and power to 168

Comment

No question at middleweight he would dominate.

Comment

At 160 Monzon handles Martinez pretty easy. Absolutely destoys Chavez Jr and beats all of the Euro wannabes in the same night. At 168, Ward would be competitive but lose by UD. Monzon easily handles Froch, Pavlik and the rest. This guy had serious craft.

Comment

total dominance

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    Because there's no incentive for fighters to hone their craft anymore.

Poet
                    This right here.

Another thing that annoys me about fighters today is that they're not willing to risk it all in order to be called one of the ATG's. I couldn't have a boxing career built up with victories over bums and ''world champions''.

I'd always know in the back of my mind that I didn't fight the main guys. I don't know how most boxers live with themselves TBH.

Comment

Chavez Jr would be fighting in Europe.

Comment

Working...
                      X