Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones jr: Triumph and Downfall, Physical gifts or Skills?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Jones jr: Triumph and Downfall, Physical gifts or Skills?

Those who had the privilege to watch Roy Jones Jr. during his prime will tell you what a fighting specimen he was. In between Sugar Ray Leonard and Floyd Mayweather Jr. there was Roy Jones, holding the mantle as the most complete fighter during his prime.

He had the intimidation factor, speed, quickness, and tremendous power with both hands. His only weakness may have been his defense and fundamentals, and only because we never knew how good they were.

He was never easy to hit, but too often relied on his quickness, and his opponents’ hesitancy to pull the trigger in fear of being countered, as his main defensive strategies.

But as with many other athletes with superior physical gifts, they often find themselves relying on them, instead of honing their skills. As a result, when his speed and skills eroded, so did his success. While his rival Bernard Hopkins, who relies on guile and ring smart, continues to be considered one of the top pound-for-pound boxers today.

What Roy Jones Jr. failed to realize is that physical gifts often fade away, but ring smarts and guile stays forever.

Now that he’s lost a step or two, Roy Jones Jr. learned the hard way that bad habits, such as keeping his hands down and relying on quickness to avoid punches, no longer work, as he’s been the victim of brutal knockouts in recent years.

Sadly, he’s becoming more known for his loses than his past accomplishments. Some people have even put Hopkins higher than Jones in their list of the greatest boxers in history. I don’t, because Roy Jones accomplished more and was significantly the greater fighter when both were at their prime.

I compare Jones to a baseball player who might have only played 10 years, but was a member of the 3000 hits club, a multiple MVP award winner, and was considered the best player during his prime. While Hopkins is a hitter who also had 3000 hits, it took him 20 years to get there.

Yet, the main reason for Roy’s downfall may have been his greatest triumph as well. When Roy defeated John Ruiz for the WBA Heavyweight title on March 1, 2003, he became the first former Middleweight title holder in 106 years to become a heavyweight champion.

But the historical win did not come without a price, as he had to gain about 20 pounds of muscles to move up and fight John Ruiz. What further compounded the issue was his decision to lose the excess weight and come back to the light heavyweight division.

He lost the weight but never regained his incredible quickness and reflexes; thus began his journey from the best pound for pound boxer to irrelevancy.

So what do you think was responsible for Roy Jones jr. downfall?

what do you think about physical gifts vs skills leading do greater success?
    Yes
    63.64%
    No
    36.36%

The poll is expired.

I think he had a bad chin.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhaakal View Post
      I think he had a bad chin.

Is that becaus of the knockouts?

Comment

Just didn't know when to take his winnings & leave ..

Comment

Originally posted by D33Pwaters View Post
          Those who had the privilege to watch Roy Jones Jr. during his prime will tell you what a fighting specimen he was. In between Sugar Ray Leonard and Floyd Mayweather Jr. there was Roy Jones, holding the mantle as the most complete fighter during his prime.

He had the intimidation factor, speed, quickness, and tremendous power with both hands. His only weakness may have been his defense and fundamentals, and only because we never knew how good they were.

He was never easy to hit, but too often relied on his quickness, and his opponents’ hesitancy to pull the trigger in fear of being countered, as his main defensive strategies.

But as with many other athletes with superior physical gifts, they often find themselves relying on them, instead of honing their skills. As a result, when his speed and skills eroded, so did his success. While his rival Bernard Hopkins, who relies on guile and ring smart, continues to be considered one of the top pound-for-pound boxers today.

What Roy Jones Jr. failed to realize is that physical gifts often fade away, but ring smarts and guile stays forever.

Now that he’s lost a step or two, Roy Jones Jr. learned the hard way that bad habits, such as keeping his hands down and relying on quickness to avoid punches, no longer work, as he’s been the victim of brutal knockouts in recent years.

Sadly, he’s becoming more known for his loses than his past accomplishments. Some people have even put Hopkins higher than Jones in their list of the greatest boxers in history. I don’t, because Roy Jones accomplished more and was significantly the greater fighter when both were at their prime.

I compare Jones to a baseball player who might have only played 10 years, but was a member of the 3000 hits club, a multiple MVP award winner, and was considered the best player during his prime. While Hopkins is a hitter who also had 3000 hits, it took him 20 years to get there.

Yet, the main reason for Roy’s downfall may have been his greatest triumph as well. When Roy defeated John Ruiz for the WBA Heavyweight title on March 1, 2003, he became the first former Middleweight title holder in 106 years to become a heavyweight champion.

But the historical win did not come without a price, as he had to gain about 20 pounds of muscles to move up and fight John Ruiz. What further compounded the issue was his decision to lose the excess weight and come back to the light heavyweight division.

He lost the weight but never regained his incredible quickness and reflexes; thus began his journey from the best pound for pound boxer to irrelevancy.

So what do you think was responsible for Roy Jones jr. downfall?

what do you think about physical gifts vs skills leading do greater success?
          I agree with pretty much everything you said. I dont think he has a bad chin like the other poster said. I just think he's a little older and more fragile now but who knows. I think he was never fundmentaly sound so when his reflexes left then he was in trouble. I also think the move up to HW and back down ruined him. I hate it when people say that Tarver wouldve given him hell at any time. I think if RJ never moved up then he wouldve killed Tarver.

I also would rank RJ higher than Hopkins but I will say that I dont fully know what would happened if both met in there prime or after the Hopkins-Tito fight like they were supposed to. Later on we saw Hopkins jump straight to LHW and look good so I dont think he wouldve had any problems physicaly at SMW which is where the fight was supposed to be at. I also think a green Hopkins did 10x better against RJ than everyone else thinks. I think that was RJ's hardest fight ever, not including the **** that happened at the end of his career. That RJ-Hopkins rematch wouldve been classic to me at that point. I could easily compare it to Floyd-Pac except probably better because both guys would fight at a super high level and I dont think either guy has any chance of dominating the other. Couldve been a great fight but we were robbed from it

Comment

Originally posted by Arcyani View Post
            Just didn't know when to take his winnings & leave ..
            Campaigning at heavyweight and keeping all that muscle wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
              I agree with pretty much everything you said. I dont think he has a bad chin like the other poster said. I just think he's a little older and more fragile now but who knows. I think he was never fundmentaly sound so when his reflexes left then he was in trouble. I also think the move up to HW and back down ruined him. I hate it when people say that Tarver wouldve given him hell at any time. I think if RJ never moved up then he wouldve killed Tarver.

I also would rank RJ higher than Hopkins but I will say that I dont fully know what would happened if both met in there prime or after the Hopkins-Tito fight like they were supposed to. Later on we saw Hopkins jump straight to LHW and look good so I dont think he wouldve had any problems physicaly at SMW which is where the fight was supposed to be at. I also think a green Hopkins did 10x better against RJ than everyone else thinks. I think that was RJ's hardest fight ever, not including the **** that happened at the end of his career. That RJ-Hopkins rematch wouldve been classic to me at that point. I could easily compare it to Floyd-Pac except probably better because both guys would fight at a super high level and I dont think either guy has any chance of dominating the other. Couldve been a great fight but we were robbed from it
              People have said that his legs just got "amputated" after the move back down to LHW. We all knew Jones jr. loved his legs. I think this may have been a factor after the Ruiz fight. In his prime you could see Jones jr. joging with legs high in the ring when he was showing off. What are your thoughts on this?

Comment

RJJ is a prime example of a person who relied all but entirely on his physical gifts, I think he was so unbelievably gifted athletically that had he not stripped back to LWH so fast and lost in such brutal fashion multiple times, that today he'd probably still be a force to be reckoned with.

His own success fuelled his ego, and you can tell he really bought into his own aura. I think it's hard for fighters to give the game up anyway, but for someone like RJJ to admit he aint got it anymore and turn his back on ... his life, basically, must be soul-destroying.

Comment

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long"

Comment

the saying was between sugar ray leonard and sugar ray robinson

and the only problem was him not facing the real opposition, i dont think further honing his skills was needed much

Comment

Working...
                    X