Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After watching Mayweather-Ortiz, where do you think Floyd's skill level is currently?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After watching Mayweather-Ortiz, where do you think Floyd's skill level is currently?

In 2006-2007, Floyd Mayweather was 29-30 years old, still widely considered in his physical prime, the top boxer in the world. He decided to retire, which surprised people, and he did not fight in 2008, when he was 31.

He came back in September 2009, after 21 months off from the sport, at age 32, and looked like he had not lost a step against Marquez, though some may argue. After his fight with Marquez, he returned 8 months later in May 2010 to fight Shane Mosley, who was coming off KO wins over Mayorga and Margarito, and Floyd was at age 33 in this fight. For the most part, Floyd looked pretty much the same, with the exception of being caught by two big punches from Mosley in round 2. We had never really seen what Floyd would do when he faced adversity on the level of potentially being KO'd, but I am pretty sure he passed. Floyd still kept coming forward after taking the assault Shane's punches, and came back to win every single round after that.

Than, Floyd took another layoff. He returned in September 2011, after 16 months off, at age 34 to fight Victor Ortiz. Ortiz was coming off 5 straight wins (including a win over previously unbeaten Andre Berto) and a draw he should have won over Lamont Peterson, which now looks even better than before, considering Peterson upsetting Amir Khan. For the most part again, Floyd looked largely the same as he did with Mosley, though we had a much less sample size, considering how the fight ended in the 4th round. Floyd was up 30-27, 30-27, and 29-28 on the scorecards, out punched Ortiz 73-26 in 4 rounds, and was the busier fighter, which surprised many due to Victor Ortiz' highly explsoive and busy offensive game.

To me, I think Floyd was basically the same against Marquez in 09' as he was against Hatton in 07', but I think he slowed just slightly by 2010 against Mosley. And, I think he looked pretty much the same against Ortiz as he did Mosley, and we didn't get to see the rest of the fight, sadly. After round 2, Floyd had Victor figured out, and aside from being on the ropes a couple times in rounds 3 and 4, he out landed Ortiz by a wide margin, and was walking him down 80% of the time, controlling the entire pace of the fight. So, considering Floyd handled a prime explosive offensive fighter like Ortiz well, and the fact that it was his first 4 rounds in 16 months, I thought Floyd looked good.
    Same as 2007 vs. Hatton
    10.00%
    Same as 2009 vs. Marquez
    2.50%
    Same as 2010 vs. Mosley
    60.00%
    He's fallen off since Mosley in 2010
    27.50%

The poll is expired.

His skill level or his physical ability?

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
      His skill level or his physical ability?
      Sort of both. I always thought Floyd was prime from about 2000/2001-2007. He looked basically the same against Marquez in 09', but I thought he slowed slightly against Mosley by 2010. Against Ortiz, I thought his skills and physical abilities were pretty much the same as the Mosley fight. So where do you think he's at??? Same as he was against Hatton, Marquez, or Mosley??? Or do you think he's fallen off a bit even since the Mosley fight???

Comment

Skill wise he's as good as ever.

Physically, he's slowed a little since 2007. It's nothing major and he's still the best in the world, but he's not quite as quick on his feet as he was. Saying that, that could be down to him standing his ground more and not moving anywhere near as much, he still looked very quick on his feet when he needed to move in the Ortiz fight.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
          Sort of both. I always thought Floyd was prime from about 2000/2001-2007. He looked basically the same against Marquez in 09', but I thought he slowed slightly against Mosley by 2010. Against Ortiz, I thought his skills and physical abilities were pretty much the same as the Mosley fight. So where do you think he's at??? Same as he was against Hatton, Marquez, or Mosley??? Or do you think he's fallen off a bit even since the Mosley fight???
          I thought he looked slower against Marquez.

Not slow, just a bit slower.. he was a lot more stationary, granted Marquez didn't give a reason to be more fleetfooted, but he still was more stationary.

Mosley as well.

However, he's shifted his tactic from mid 2000's to now, instead of a mover/boxer, he seems now to be a more pressure/boxer/puncher.. even against Ortiz he was coming forward.

Skill level, he's the same... physical ability... if he was a 10 in 07, I give him an 8.9 today.

Comment

I forgot I made these... on being over the hill or not

Comment

Skill-wise he's as sharp as ever. Physically, his legs have started to go but he's adjusted his style to a more stationary/spacing-based one pretty flawlessly.

Comment

lmfaooooo

Comment

Those were pretty good. I think Shane's a little lower than that even.

But, so do you think Floyd looked the same against Ortiz as he did against Mosley???

I have said that everything Floyd has done after the Hatton fight, he's past his prime-but still really good. I still feel the same way. I think Manny is past his prime-but still really good. Kinda how Leonard and Hagler were in 87' when they fought. There's no question that they, along with Mike Tyson, were the best fighters in the world. But, I don't think Ray or Marvin were in their absolute primes at that point, but still really good. I think the same can be said for Floyd vs. Manny if they finally fight in May 2012, lets just hope Floyds legal issues and Manny's cut don't prevent Bob from actually attempting to make the fight.

How long do you think Floyd has until he's past his prime completely and not even that good anymore??? I still think Floyd can fight really well until May 2013 or so, but after that, all bets are off.

Comment

his been a cherry picker as always to make himself look impressive

nothing new

Comment

Working...
                    X