Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez : Hall of Fame?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Jerry Quarry makes HOF Sergio Martinez is definitely a HOF fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
      If Jerry Quarry makes HOF Sergio Martinez is definitely a HOF fighter.
      The guy has wins over Floyd Patterson, Ron Lyle, Earnie Shavers, Buster Mathis, Mac Foster, he fought Frazier twice, Ali twice, Patterson twice, fought Norton, Ellis, Chuvalo.

Whatever you say though,

Comment

Yes, he was one of the best at his weight in this era and all round exciting fighter during his peak.

Comment

He'll get in probably, but no....

Williams
          Pavlik
          Dzinziruk
          Macklin
          Barker
          Chavez
          Murray

If anyone says that's hall of fame, then Jose Luis Castillo and Diego Corrales should be in. Only real champs Sergio beat were Paul Williams and Kelly Pavlik. You can say Chavez Jr but what the **** did he ever prove, even though yes I wanted to see that fight before his fat ass grew out of the weight class. Solid win for Sergio, still don't consider Chavez Jr a real champ of any kind

Castillo

Johnston
          Bazan
          Lazcano
          Casamayor
          J Diaz
          Corrales
          Pretty much beat Mayweather too

Johnston, Casamayor, and Corrales were champions. Mayweather also the best fighter of his era along with Pacquiao.

Corrales
          R Garcia
          Gainer
          Manfredy
          Casamayor
          Freitas
          Castillo

Casamayor, Freitas, and Castillo were champions

Both of these guys should get in if Sergio gets in
          Last edited by 4Corners; 06-24-2014, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
            He'll get in probably, but no....

Williams
            Pavlik
            Dzinziruk
            Macklin
            Barker
            Chavez
            Murray

If anyone says that's hall of fame, then Jose Luis Castillo and Diego Corrales should be in. Only real champs Sergio beat were Paul Williams and Kelly Pavlik. You can say Chavez Jr but what the **** did he ever prove, even though yes I wanted to see that fight before his fat ass grew out of the weight class. Solid win for Sergio, still don't consider Chavez Jr a real champ of any kind

Castillo

Johnston
            Bazan
            Lazcano
            Casamayor
            J Diaz
            Corrales
            Pretty much beat Mayweather too

Johnston, Casamayor, and Corrales were champions. Mayweather also the best fighter of his era along with Pacquiao.

Corrales
            R Garcia
            Gainer
            Manfredy
            Casamayor
            Freitas
            Castillo

Casamayor, Freitas, and Castillo were champions

Both of these guys should get in if Sergio gets in
            Castillo could get in the hall of fame for my money.

His resume is also miles better than Martinez's.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post

Castillo was basically the best LW of his era, also has an unofficial win over Floyd Mayweather, the only guy to really truly possibly beat him. On top of that, Stevie Johnston was a champ and the best fighter at 135. Casamayor was 2 weight champion. Corrales was a 2 weight champion. Julio Diaz, Juan Lazcano, and Cesar Bazan were all Top 10 fighters when Castillo fought them.

Corrales too. Roberto Garcia, Derrick Gainer, Angel Mafredy were at least Barker/Dzinziruk/Murray level going in. Plus Corrales got wins over Casamayor who was a weight champ, took Freitas' 0 who was a 2 weight champ, and beat Castillo who was the best LW of his era.

If Arturo Gatti got in basically for his wars with Mickey Ward, than Castillo and Corrales should get in. They were not only better fighters with better wins, but also had an epic war of their own.

Comment

Of course he is HOF, anybody recognisable who is really good in their class will make HOF.

ATG no, he isn't that special.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post

Castillo was an excellent fighter. Anyone who arguably beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. is an excellent fighter just because of that, add in everything else Castillo did and it sucks he isn't given more credit.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    i seriously hope that he does not.
                    I concur.

Anyone on the fence, just have a look at the official list of fighters and ask yourself if he belongs there. Sure there is Sly Stallone, and Gatti

But Sergio doesn't serve as the rule OR the exception.

I enjoyed watching him fight, but NOT hall of fame material...

121 fighters in the last 71 years inducted...Sergio is just simply not in that class.

Resume

Cintron - a fight he clearly won, in most people's eyes. Never very good

Williams 1 - tough close fight...some people thinking he won. Had some decent wins on his resume, wasn't built for middleweight.

Pavlik - had a tough middle 4 rounds, but outworked KP in the 1st and last 3rd of the fight. Pavlik a limited fighter

Williams 2 - Well we know what happened there. Well placed shot, nice win.

Dzinziruk - Sergio completely shut this guy down, who it turns out was just a walking jab. Had 1-2 decent wins at 154. Didn't deserve to be fighting the lineal middleweight champion with 0 160 fights under his belt. Doesn't help your case for HOF, but doesn't hurt.

Barker - Don't really remember this fight. I believe it was closer than the cards indicated but Sergio found a way to win. Barker went on to get a W over top contender Geale. May have been too early for Barker to fight Sergio.

Macklin - Macklin made their fight close, had Sergio on the canvas, once again Sergio pulled out the W late. Macklin, to me, looked to have beat Sturm. Good win for Sergio.

Chavez - lol

Murray - Sergio was lucky to get the W in my opinion. Murray seems to be a good fighter, hard to credit Sergio for this win.

Cotto - say what you want about how it played out...Good Cotto, or bad Sergio? Both? Either way Sergio was beat up bad by a (IMO) future HOF'er.

I think that if Sergio got his career going a little bit earlier he could have polished his boxing a bit more, and perhaps fought better opposition, or not have made the fights so hard on himself.

The late start hurts him.

Comment

Absolutely not.

Comment

Working...
                      X