Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Physiotherapy/alternative therapies for bad hands.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physiotherapy/alternative therapies for bad hands.

Does anyone know of any alternative treatments for hand pains which are common for big power punchers? I am not at the point where it stops me from training, but would like to nip it in the bud early on. I saw in Mayweather V Oscar 24/7 a treatement that he was getting from his physio. It looked like his hands and forearms were dipped in some sort of cream or ointment and wrapped in cling film. Does anyone know what sort of treatment Floyd was getting for his hands?

I am a very bid puncher and very heavy handed. Even my jab hurts some foes! I get pains in the little finger and along the side but it is nothing serious. As I am training to go pro though, this could get worse after I knock a few people out. Any help or pointers would be useful. Also, I use two sets of hand wraps but does anyone know what type of tape I can use to secure this? I have seen people use masking tape as well as duct tape in the am's and pro's.

What kind of gloves are u using, brand and weight? I had this problem several months back, I invested in some better, way better quality gloves and have not hurt my hands since, I ve damaged my knuckles, wrist, and both thumbs and pinkies! With my new gloves I havent so much as had a scare. Basically I am saying it could be a matter of glove choice that could solve your problem, good luck.

Comment

Hi, im a second year physio student, thought i'd put my 2 cents in.

Well the thing you saw on 24/7 was actually a hot wax treatment. They dip your hands in hot wax to increase the temperature and blood flow to your hands. . .theres not much evidence for it actually having much benefit though, and most physios wont do it unless your paying and you ask for that specifically.

The best thing you can do for your hands is looking at the way you're punching. You're getting pains along the little finger down the side of the hand, why do you think that might be? strange wrist alignment while punching maybe? take the gloves off and have a serious look at the extension and form of your punches, get a coach to help. Are there any specific punches that cause you more problems than any other? that might suggest that the problem is technical not a weakness in the hands

Other than that, the best things you can do to look after your hands is keep them strong. Theres lots of small muscles in you're hands which help to keep the bones protected and keep all the tiny carpal bones in place. Squeezing a tennis ball, using a hand grip machine or a powerball (google it) are excellent ways of improving the strength of your hands and forearms to help avoid wrist and hand injuries. Climbers strengthen their hands and fingers by hanging on to chin up bars by their fingertips. You can also do self-resistance type exercises which involve pushing one hand against the other in a variety of positions to increase strength. Improving flexibilaty of the muscles and soft tissues might help as well, so google around hand/forearm stretches.

Obviously you can wrap your hands any way you want in the gym, i've seen people use 2 sets of hand wraps with a small kitchen sponge in between them placed on the knuckles, but for amatuer fights (here in england anyway, idk about the U.S.A) their very picky about the length of bandage you use, wont allow any tape etc either. i'd imagine pros were the same.

Finally, if you do get a hand injury, rest it. Rest Ice Compression Elevation (RICE) is the rule of thumb for injuries like that, if it still hurt after a couple of weeks, you might have fractured one of the carpal bones or a metacarpal, and you should hit the emergency room for an xray. Start exercising and stretching it as soon as you feel able, dont do it if its causing a lot of pain.

Hope that helped, let me know if you want to know anything else

Comment

Originally posted by ophqui View Post
        Hi, im a second year physio student, thought i'd put my 2 cents in.

Well the thing you saw on 24/7 was actually a hot wax treatment. They dip your hands in hot wax to increase the temperature and blood flow to your hands. . .theres not much evidence for it actually having much benefit though, and most physios wont do it unless your paying and you ask for that specifically.

The best thing you can do for your hands is looking at the way you're punching. You're getting pains along the little finger down the side of the hand, why do you think that might be? strange wrist alignment while punching maybe? take the gloves off and have a serious look at the extension and form of your punches, get a coach to help. Are there any specific punches that cause you more problems than any other? that might suggest that the problem is technical not a weakness in the hands

Other than that, the best things you can do to look after your hands is keep them strong. Theres lots of small muscles in you're hands which help to keep the bones protected and keep all the tiny carpal bones in place. Squeezing a tennis ball, using a hand grip machine or a powerball (google it) are excellent ways of improving the strength of your hands and forearms to help avoid wrist and hand injuries. Climbers strengthen their hands and fingers by hanging on to chin up bars by their fingertips. You can also do self-resistance type exercises which involve pushing one hand against the other in a variety of positions to increase strength. Improving flexibilaty of the muscles and soft tissues might help as well, so google around hand/forearm stretches.

Obviously you can wrap your hands any way you want in the gym, i've seen people use 2 sets of hand wraps with a small kitchen sponge in between them placed on the knuckles, but for amatuer fights (here in england anyway, idk about the U.S.A) their very picky about the length of bandage you use, wont allow any tape etc either. i'd imagine pros were the same.

Finally, if you do get a hand injury, rest it. Rest Ice Compression Elevation (RICE) is the rule of thumb for injuries like that, if it still hurt after a couple of weeks, you might have fractured one of the carpal bones or a metacarpal, and you should hit the emergency room for an xray. Start exercising and stretching it as soon as you feel able, dont do it if its causing a lot of pain.

Hope that helped, let me know if you want to know anything else
        What is the name of that therapy method? I already go private physiotherapy so cost is not an issue.

As for technique, I am a pro and I am also very textbook so that is not the issue lol. My trainer spends around 40 minutes with me 1-2-1 everyday and says I am just paranoid. My physio agrees but like I said before, i like to be safe rather than sorry. I have had an x-ray because of this and there are no broken metacarpals or anything else. They say there is an old break which has fully healed and the pain is expected but nothing to worry about! I always land with my knuckles and keep the wrist straight so nothing gets injured.

I have found my own way of getting rid of even the smallest niggling pains! An old pro gave me these tips and he is very experienced. I use Germolene (contains local anesthetic) on the painful areas and when I don't have time to use gauze and tape, I secure the 2nd set of wraps with tape. People who don;t have medical tape can use duct tape (easy tear) or even masking tape. I see many pro's using duct tape and you may have noticed Calslappy and Fatton doing it on 24/7. I put strips of it between my fingers too. What this does is make them stay in place and give extra support to the wrist. It makes sure it does not slip and that there it is always compact around the knuckle are. Try it, you might like it!

Finally, I would like to say I am enjoying the hard training and my new job. I have been so busy I have not had time to come on here and make the metro peeps like Equilibrium cry. DJ QUIK is a top man and understands the tongue in cheek nature of scallies ripping **** out of each other. Stop being a bum and do ya physio and stretches you ****. Thanks for tips mate and good luck to everyone (including Equilibrium the fat twat, hope you lose weight and stop being insecure, godspeed son godspeed). The inevitable pain in the hands will be worth it when I become p4p king like Georges Carpentiere when he KO'd the english bum in his backyard.

Vive La France!
        Au Revoir!

Comment

In the U.S. the treatment is called paraffin treatment. But you can buy that equipment at alot of different stores in the U.S. for relatively cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by p4pFuturRoi View Post
            Does anyone know of any alternative treatments for hand pains which are common for big power punchers? I am not at the point where it stops me from training, but would like to nip it in the bud early on. I saw in Mayweather V Oscar 24/7 a treatement that he was getting from his physio. It looked like his hands and forearms were dipped in some sort of cream or ointment and wrapped in cling film. Does anyone know what sort of treatment Floyd was getting for his hands?

I am a very bid puncher and very heavy handed. Even my jab hurts some foes! I get pains in the little finger and along the side but it is nothing serious. As I am training to go pro though, this could get worse after I knock a few people out. Any help or pointers would be useful. Also, I use two sets of hand wraps but does anyone know what type of tape I can use to secure this? I have seen people use masking tape as well as duct tape in the am's and pro's.

if you didnt come off as such a meathead *** i would recomend something to you.

Comment

Re

We usually avoid pain but sometimes this simple pain may lead to serious issue.
              Chiropractic is a health care discipline and profession that emphasizes diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system, especially the spine, under the hypothesis that these disorders affect general health via the nervous system It is generally categorized as complementary and alternative medicine (CAM).
              chiropractor lawrenceville ga

Comment

Working...
              X