Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the LHW division the only one where the Champions want to unify the titles????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    unifying those usueless titles is often impossible. they all have separate agendas, and those agendas don't have anything to do with who is the best boxer.

just look at the rankings of those damn belts. they mean nothing.

the winner of a box off between the two best fighters in a division is the only way you reestablish a lineage. stevenson and kovalev would have to fight.

ring magazine has hopkins ranked higher than kovalev, but that';s because he's a goldenboy partner, and goldenboy owns the ring.
    Uh NO Its because Hopkins has beat better opposition and Kovalev hasn't fought anybody yet. I like kovalev to but looking good against sub par opponents is a whole different animal then looking good against a guy like Hopkins or stevenson. Hopkins ir rightfully ranked ahead of Kovalev. It's ridiculous to think otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
      and kovalev ducked hopkins when he was mandatory. also read the OP, i pointed that out.
      ... Really? Why don't you ask Hopkins, again? To tell himself just how Kovalev ducked him...

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
        Floyd doesnt need to fight Lara to unify anything,and please name me all the unified champs in boxing...you asked why fighters are not trying to be undisputed..i name a unified champ in 2 divisions at that and you frown on it and shoot it down
        the last undisputed champ was hopkins,taylor

and yea, floyd isnt trying to be undisputed.

if broner beat maidana like he was heavily favoured to do, floyd would be defending his welterweight belt against a guy who is not even ranked at welter.

i like the maidana fight more than khan. its unification but now lets see if floyd fights bradley/pac winner or khan/collazo winner.

Comment

Being the undisputed champion and having all the "major" belts sounds great in theory, but much harder, and in some scenarios even pointless, in practice due to the current landscape of boxing. For instance, some organisation bodies won't even allow you to unify their titles with other bodies. Also, who wants to pay all those damn fees? Then, as pointed out already, certain belt organizations have particular agendas and will strip you if you're not fighting their ranked mandatory challengers, which often times make no sense whatsoever. Then when you factor in the promotional/network feuds it's damn near impossible to do. In essence, only somebody like Floyd Mayweather could probably pull this off because the belt organizations would be willing to alter and accommodate their "rules" as long as Floyd is representing their belt.

It's worth pointing out that Light Heavyweight isn't a very keen example because even though they say they want to unify all the titles, what's the likelihood it's going to happen anytime soon? For starters Kovalev-Stevenson isn't looking like it's going to happen this year.
          Last edited by _original_; 04-06-2014, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
            ... Really? Why don't you ask Hopkins, again? To tell himself just how Kovalev ducked him...

Comment

Working...
            X