No announcement yet.

another Freddy Roach 7 time trainer of the year casualty

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
    Roach has worked with allot of fighters who he in one way or another broke. Remember Jorge Linares? The knock on him is he had no power, still doesn't but he can box and move and pitch ever punch in the book. He's a joy to watch. Freddy taught him how to throw more punches and even make him more of an imbalanced fighter. He Left.

Love him or hate him, Look at Amir Khan. He's fast, has a bad chin, pretty good stamina, Freddy Roach taught him to be more of an offensive fighter, neglecting technique for speed which he was caught for. He Left.

Moving to up in weight to Latif Coyote. not a shinning prospect by no means but when i watch him fight Volley's up the middle... It's a rinse repeat style.

He hasn't taught anyone HOW TO BOX. Teddy Atlas love him hate him has a good quote "Anyone can throw punches, but it's the good ones who can avoid them and still be in place to counter off a miss" He's teaching fundamentals of boxing. Look what he worked with, his best fighter was a chinny Michale Moore! As a trainer i would hate to have a guy who is a one touch, but look at what he made him. Now look at Provo, dude has a diamond chin, but cannot fight with a fighter who has a jab, a basic tool equated to a pawns move.

Almost every fighter who has left roaches gym at one point or another has gone on with thier career to do something. I just think his gym, if your a young professional looking to make it in this brutal sport of boxing is a good place to learn. Provo's face with the amount of damage that has occurred will only get worse i figure dude has another, maybe 3 years left.

I'd be looking at What Dan Birmingham teaches, I'd be looking at what Vergil Hunter teaches, I'd be looking at Danny Garcia. Freddy Roach's name was built off of Manny Pacquiao and he keeps trying to form every fighter into his image, when he should try to match what they do well with what they need to work on to round them out.
    Linares has power, no chin. What exactly have Linares and Khan done since they've left Roach? Linares is barely heard from despite his massive talent. Khan beat a hapless Alexander but has been B- level fighters since leaving Roach. Khan doesn't even want to fight Garcia again despite developing an "elite neck" under hunter.

Provodnikov is what he is. No trainer is gonna make him a Pacquiao or a Floyd. 3 fights back, would anybody have thought that he had a shot at Lucas?

Comment

Originally posted by pnksntdead View Post
      Linares has power, no chin. What exactly have Linares and Khan done since they've left Roach? Linares is barely heard from despite his massive talent. Khan beat a hapless Alexander but has been B- level fighters since leaving Roach. Khan doesn't even want to fight Garcia again despite developing an "elite neck" under hunter.

Provodnikov is what he is. No trainer is gonna make him a Pacquiao or a Floyd. 3 fights back, would anybody have thought that he had a shot at Lucas?

Linares, has no power, and a weak chin with excessive boxing skills. Since losing, brutally, under Freddy roach He's gone back to his roots fighting in japan, and he is winning. And though not on the big stage has a more balanced style offensive and defensive.

Khan has looked much more improved since leaving Roach. Under Roach he was blown up Fighting Garcia because his technique throwing shots was not to bring them back to his chin. Roach a trainer should have seen those flaws and worked on them. Roach himself said he looks at tape and reads a fighters tendencies his flaws, his own fighter had basic ones.

Roaches style of training made those fighters reckless and flawed. Guillermo Rigondeaux got the jist early, and left, and is arguably one of the best technical boxers out there. Realize I'm talking about the education of boxing not popularity.

After seeing Chris Algeri open the book on "lessons with the jab" last year. And Lucas continue that same lesson, and Provo still a year later shows little to no improvement on defending/adjusting/countering off the jab. No one is saying make him the next "Sugar Ray Robinson", but to improve upon a fundamental skill set would suffice.

Would that not be a sign the Roach, a trainer of the sweet science, didn't do his job? Glaring flaw, no improvement. 3 fights ago hardly matters if he's in the same ring with Lucas, and still had no "shot". That fight was a one sided paint job that HBO tried to sell different.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
        I'm hard pressed to find any kind of acolytes besides, Pacquiao, that would earn him such high praise among his coaching peers.

From a business perspective he's great doing fabulous with guys like Provodnikov who are groomed to be high level sparring partners. I feel bad for him because, boxing is not a tough mans sport, were taking flush shots for 12 rounds is a badge of honor.

But for him actually teaching a boxer how to use the basic fundamentals of defense to offense, setting up varying shots... very lacking.

He teaches every fighter that walks through his doors, to volley of punches up the middle.

Freddy Roach is the walmart of boxing schools, sorely just above the worst trainer of all time Buddy McGirt.
        You're such a hater. Yeah lets see Provodnikov fight like Mayweather lol. Every fighter has their own strengths, his style of fighting is what is best for him. It's the way he fights and he has gotten better under roach.

Comment

Originally posted by latinbrawler316 View Post
          You're such a hater. Yeah lets see Provodnikov fight like Mayweather lol. Every fighter has their own strengths, his style of fighting is what is best for him. It's the way he fights and he has gotten better under roach.
          I watch boxing. I'm making observational points.

Do you not agree about strengthening weaknesses?

Think of it, though the eye's of your looking for a trainer, because you want to get into boxing at a high level. Would you not look to get the best coach possible?

Who said Provo should fight like Mayweather?

Fact is, provo fought two fighters that used the exact same approach a year apart. Your estimation is he's getting better?

I'm saying under a different coach he would get a better well rounded approach learning how to catch and shoot with the right hand. or slip inside and throw a jab to the body or throw a looping right over the jab. Something within his skill set as a brawler.

Comment

You guys are such floyd dick riding Americans its sick. Roach is underrated in my opinion, look what he did with cotto? NO other trainer in boxing can rejuvenate a past his prime diva like roach has. He's the trainer of arguably one of the bust p4p fighter EVER. Ruslan is better with Roach, FACT.

"He's only taken one fighter that i know of and made him better and that's Manny Pacquiao."--YOU, guy who said this. Delete your account and stop following boxing, please.

Comment

Yeah, lets have all boxers fight like Floyd Gayweather where he runs a marathon every fight. I would stop following boxing, good for ROACH for emphasizing offensive output, good for roach.

Comment

It's a stretch to have an intelligent debate on this site lol

And to small minds who take it personally instead of debating points, which is the point of having a branching opinion. to deepen your insight on the sport of boxing.

Just like the media, who votes for Roach's coach of the year award, are entitled to their opinion, I am as well.

Comment

Working...
                X