No announcement yet.

Floyd is P4P #2 ever after SRR?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Where have I disputed that Mosley was passed his prime? He was passed his prime.

He was also universally P4P #3, #1 Welterweight and a major threat that Mayweather was clearly and shamelessly ducking, until he fought him of course .
    Okay, past his prime. And that's my point. Floyd was ducking him. This is the only real criticism of Mayweather, that he, later in his career, has ducked some of the best opponents and waited a little too long to fight some others. So he has all time great skills, but not as great a resume as some others. It's not just about skills, but about resume, who fighters beat and when they beat them. I mean, Mosley is a big name a decent win, but not a great one. If he fights and beats Canelo, especially next, that should at least be another really good win for him, I don't know why anyone would say otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeepSleep View Post
      These "Pound For Pound" lists are absurd... Do I rate fighters based on resume or on skills? For example how do I compare Jack Johnson to Mike Tyson? They fought in totally different eras under totally different rules. Generally the Galveston Giant is viewed as higher up the pound for pound list than Iron Mike but the exact criteria is vague.

Are we weighting it based purely on resume? This seems silly since a guy who completely steamrolled a weak division will get neglected compared to a guy who fought and lost to greats...

Are we weighting based purely on skills? This seems dumb since it's hard to compare guys in different eras fighting different levels of competition.

Are we weighting based on who we think would win in a fight? This isn't logical since the rules of the sport are totally different than they were back in the day.
      Usually the first two, resume and skills. Head to head are usually completely different rankings. Not that hard to do, if researched enough.

Comment

• So obviously resume wise, Floyd is not top 5. Maybe 10? The question I just thought of was skill wise, where would Floyd be ranked?

Comment

• Skill wise very few can touch him. VERY few indeed.

Comment

• Skill-wise, he's definitely close to the top. Resume-wise he is not, unfortunately.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              Langford, Greb, Robinson, Armstrong, Charles, Pep, Leonard, Duran, Gans, Ray Leonard......the list goes on. Floyd is in the top 25 to 30. Pound for pound is not just your skillset, but also your resume. Floyd lacks that by a lot compared to many greats.
              people just assume he could not beat those fighters i dont buy it not all of em anyway

Comment

• resume bla bla bla so if he fought manny would his resume be up at top? not his fault he that much better then everyone else in his era

Comment

• Originally posted by NatiKid View Post
                  resume bla bla bla
                  Err, what? How else could you possibly give an accurate ranking to fighters other than basing it on who they've beaten and when they've beaten them, etc.?

If you rank fighters on talent and not resume, you're basically ranking them on hypothetical situations and things that, for one reason or another, have never happened. Hindsight can be a wonderful thing sometimes, but in no way can it give a summation as accurate as actually basing a fighter's greatness on what he's achieved throughout his career.

It's not as if there's absolutely no-one out there for Floyd to face, either (a la the Klitschko's, who have been just damn unfortunate to be born in this era). There's fights that he could've taken in the past that could've enhanced his legacy, but through his own free will, chose not to take. I don't see why he should be rewarded for that.

Comment

• I'm not that high on Floyd but Aaron Pryor? Really? :thinking9: I swear Pryor is the poster boy for the guys who get post-career mileage out of "woulda', coulda', shoulda' (but ultimately didn't)". Pryor fans fans should just be thankful he never did step in the ring with Leonard or Hearns at Welterweight: That spared them the agony of seeing their idol get beat up and destroyed.

Poet

Comment

• people who say pac has a better chin that Duran/floyd is the number 2 p4p ATG/Vitali Klitschko is the GOAT etc etc should be banned from this section.

Comment

Working...
                      X