Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's to Blame for the Lack of Progession of Cuban Boxers: Promoters or Fans?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's to Blame for the Lack of Progession of Cuban Boxers: Promoters or Fans?

Right now, 3 of the hottest rising stars in boxing are Cuban : Gamboa, Rigondeaux and Lara.

But why is it that every other day on Boxingscene I see an article about Erislandy Lara or Guillermo Rigondeaux begging for a fight or Gamboa having contract issues. These are three incredibly gifted boxers with extraordinary amateur backgrounds. Let's take a look at the career progression of these 3 fighters so far:

Rigondeaux - 10 fights into his professional career. Became interim champion after 7 with a close victory over Cordoba. Since then: He's fought Willie Casey in Dublin Ireland, Rico Ramos in Vegas on a ShoBox event and Teon Kennedy in Vegas on a Pacquiao undercard. It looks like Top Rank has no major plans for him.

Lara - Coming off a win over Paul Williams (which was taken from him), he fights Ronald Hearns in Biloxi Mississippi on an undercard of a Jermain Taylor bout and now will go to California to fight Freddy Hernandez on a Bundrage/Spinks undercard.

Gamboa - We all know what recently went down with him. No need to explain.

Why do these talented fighters continue to get ignored by their promoters and get placed on undercards against C level competition?

In Lara's case he goes from pulling a major upset, to fighting in Biloxi Mississippi against an opponent that shouldn't have been in the ring with him. Rigondeaux got a more high profile undercard, but the seats were empty, the opponent was outclassed and it still didn't do much for his marketability.

Why aren't they being built up as superstars like their Mexican and Puerto Rican counterparts?

You often see young Mexican fighters headline major events in Texas or California and build up their fanbases. Large Mexican populations in these states. You often see Puerto Rican fighters headline events in New York. Same case. Cuban fighters, don't get his same treatment. The promoters don't showcase their talents and build their fanbases the same way.

Miami has the largest Cuban population in the U.S. Yet these Cuban fighters are fighting on undercards in Vegas, Texas, California and in Lara's case; Biloxi Mississippi. It's rare a major boxing event is ever held in Miami. I have a hard time believing that if Gamboa, Rigo, Lara or a combination of the 3, headlined an event at American Airlines Arena, that it would flop.

It seems to me that these fighters talents are being wasted away.

Is it the promoters fault, or do these fighters just not have large enough fanbases to generate any interest?

both. promoters for being greedy and not wanting to put low demand fighters in the ring with their high demand fighters and fans for not really paying attention to the high quality skills etc. that many cuban fighters bring to the sport.

Comment

The Cubans don't have the legacies that Mexican/PR fighters have in the pro ranks; although Cubans are very good in the amateurs.

Mexican and P.R fighters are all known for something. They have a trademark. I don't think Cuban fighters have that trademark.

IMO, the next nationality in line for earning the trademark for being known for something (toughness) are Argentinians.

Comment

Communism.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
          The Cubans don't have the legacies that Mexican/PR fighters have in the pro ranks; although Cubans are very good in the amateurs.

Mexican and P.R fighters are all known for something. They have a trademark. I don't think Cuban fighters have that trademark.

IMO, the next nationality in line for earning the trademark for being known for something (toughness) are Argentinians.
          argentenians have already left their trademarks all over this sport. many of the greatest boxers of all time were argentines

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
            argentenians have already left their trademarks all over this sport. many of the greatest boxers of all time were argentines
            Very true. I'm just saying, I think they're 3rd behind Mexican's and Puerto Ricans.

If Cubans want to join the group, they have to start being known for something.

EDIT: There have been great Argentinian fighters, but I don't think when the casual fan hears an argentinian is fighting, he'll know what trademark they're known for.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
              Very true. I'm just saying, I think they're 3rd behind Mexican's and Puerto Ricans.

If Cubans want to join the group, they have to start being known for something.

EDIT: There have been great Argentinian fighters, but I don't think when the casual fan hears an argentinian is fighting, he'll know what trademark they're known for.
              well thats true and its quite sad. argentina has a proud boxing history.

Comment

Maybe it is because promoting Mexican fighters to a Mexican fan base makes sense, because there is a large one. Promoting cubans to a Cuban fan base that is basically non existent in comparison. Canelo gets more views when he fights than the entire population of Cuba.

This is a business, not a sport. Dangerous foes with no fans don't get fights, understand that people like us(hardcore fans) represent such a small demographic that they could care less about us.

Comment

Even though they are good fighter's they're very hard to sell, because of low followings unlike, mexicans and Ricans.

Comment

You can't blame cuban american fans, even if all them tuned in to support cuban fighters, it still wouldn't add up to a very large number. It's on the promoters. They know they can't do that ethnic marketing with cuban fighters, they have to do something else, show some creativity but it's too much to ask.

Comment

Working...
                    X