Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^

Wah, you a dr fam?

Comment

Acquiring your masters only to stop before your phd seems foolish. Stopping after a bachelors often makes sense, but you've already invested another 2 years and tens of thousands of dollars. Granted, I don't know your field and I wont read this thread or ask questions to find out. There are, obviously, exceptions in the job market where a masters is all you need. However, if you're just thinking of winging it because X number of years has been too long, that seems foolish.

edit: Currently 1 year into my own.
      Last edited by Dirt E Gomez; 03-13-2012, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Fam, here the MA isnt en-route to the PhD. It is wholly seperate. I did my MA in 07-08 and that was it.

Another MA/MSc one day, I can imagine.

What's your PhD in?

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
          I am a PhD student, 2nd yr. Bored out of my mind man. MA level was the limit of my interest in this crap.

I just want to get a job, make some money and chill.

I am weighing up the plus/minus of dropping out and am leaning towards leaving.
          Man. if I was close to you I would smack you right acrossed the chops. You've invested 20 years of school, countless hours studying and to accomplish what you already have. You are so close to your goal, 3 to 4 more years? That ain't ****! You've already done that 5 or 6 times.

Look deep dude, we all have peaks and valleys with how we're feeling from day to day. The secret is to make the wise choices when you're down in your valleys. These are the decisions that could make it so that you never see your true peak. I left boxing after 8 years because I was in a valley. Almost 20 years has passed and there isn't a day that I don't wonder what if. You are so close to your goal and you don't have anybody standing infront you punching you in your face trying to knock your brain into next week.

Don't quit dude.........Rockin'

Comment

unless you've got a job waiting for you, you might struggle to a graduate job (or any job), its ridiculously competitive now

if you don't want to wait that long, scale it down to an MPhil

if that's possible

I've been trying to get into a funded PhD programme for several months and its intensely competitive.
            Last edited by hogwash; 03-13-2012, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Nah guys, I was self funded. My heart isnt in it any more. I have to enjoy study, you know. I will one day study again, but right now, the fire is out.

Comment

If you are that bored and just want to make money, then go for it. You are so far into it and almost completely done that you might want to reconsider and just finish up. I actually did something similar last year and dropped out after getting my BBA but now I regret it. Trying to set up some stuff so I can continue working on my masters but it's a bit complicated. All in all if you're fed up it isn't like it's make or break, you can always go back later.

Comment

I have my BA and MA already, so I have a solid education. Anything extra, PhD or 2nd MA/MSc would just be for fun. So, I have to enjoy it.

Plus, Tyga doesnt have a PhD and he's a staaaaar (star).

Comment

Get out if you really want out. Like others have said, you still have the MA to fall back on

Comment

I was going to suggest you finish college because you've already invested so much, BUT I sense you don't have any passion for what you're studying, at least not anymore. If you don't have a passion for it, quit now. If you finish, I imagine you will be one of those people who spend years studying something only to end up taking a job in a completely unrelated field.

Comment

Working...
                      X