Collapse
No announcement yet.

For science! Three questions about Olympic Boxing matches

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a bad place for research friend. The only guy you want to talk to is trainer John Scully. He knows more about the AM game than anybody on the board. Very easy to get his email and he's very accessible.

Comment

Hi can I ask the purpose of posting on here? Will you be using quotes or information from this board or are you just simply looking for direction for your research? Either way, I feel it is a bad idea.

The sport is incredibly corrupt, and there are eyes everywhere. I just fear that you uncover something, and the first response from those "in the know" will be to discredit your research on the basis it was based on this forum - which is infamous for posters bias, agendas and all the rest. I don't feel any data, opinions gathered from this board count as reliable evidence of anything.

I've previously tried to do research in a similar area in boxing. I found that the sport is nearly all behind closed doors. In some instances, it felt more like investigative journalism more so than research. By posting your name, I worry about who has noticed it. But I wish you luck. If you ever release your findings to the public, please let us see. There are some fellow academics on this board too

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
        Hi can I ask the purpose of posting on here? Will you be using quotes or information from this board or are you just simply looking for direction for your research? Either way, I feel it is a bad idea.

The sport is incredibly corrupt, and there are eyes everywhere. I just fear that you uncover something, and the first response from those "in the know" will be to discredit your research on the basis it was based on this forum - which is infamous for posters bias, agendas and all the rest. I don't feel any data, opinions gathered from this board count as reliable evidence of anything.

I've previously tried to do research in a similar area in boxing. I found that the sport is nearly all behind closed doors. In some instances, it felt more like investigative journalism more so than research. By posting your name, I worry about who has noticed it. But I wish you luck. If you ever release your findings to the public, please let us see. There are some fellow academics on this board too
        this is Aiba not the Italian Mafia!

Comment

Central Asian Mafia

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
            this is Aiba not the Italian Mafia!
            Haha yes You'll be abducted for prying eyes.

Comment

Just to add to my previous posts, comparing the medalists from the 2005 and 2006 world cups as well as the 2005 and 2007 world championships to those who got 'byes' in 2008 and the initial matches made should be sufficient to tell if it was random or not. The medalists from these competions are a matter opf record and easily accessible.

For 2004 there's the 2001 and 2003 world Championships, but I'm sure there were other competiions whose results could be used.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Grizzley View Post
                This is a bad place for research friend. The only guy you want to talk to is trainer John Scully. He knows more about the AM game than anybody on the board. Very easy to get his email and he's very accessible.
                Thanks, I appreciate the tip!

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post

The purpose is purely informational. I only want to understand the actual rules regarding the way the Olympic tournaments are structured so that I can adjust the statistical analysis to account for their impact.

I do appreciate all the interest and the help so far. Are there other Olympic trainers whom I could contact who might be willing to help me with my questions?

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                    Just to add to my previous posts, comparing the medalists from the 2005 and 2006 world cups as well as the 2005 and 2007 world championships to those who got 'byes' in 2008 and the initial matches made should be sufficient to tell if it was random or not. The medalists from these competions are a matter opf record and easily accessible.

For 2004 there's the 2001 and 2003 world Championships, but I'm sure there were other competiions whose results could be used.
                    I agree this might provide some clues. That being said, do all the fighters in the cups and championships go on to compete in the Olympics?

Comment

Working...
                    X