Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather - Locche. Hype vs Substance in Boxing.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather - Locche. Hype vs Substance in Boxing.

I watched Tyson's recent interview on the Howard Stern show and Stern said he is a casual boxing fan and he has no idea who Mayweather is and that he heard he just earned 40 million dollars. Tyson said Mayweather is awesome but he also agrees watching him box is like watching grass grow (but he didn't say it in a disrespectful way) .

Don't get me wrong, I love watching Floyd box, I really do, he is a magician in there. But I was thinking - what will really become his legacy because hype is not real. It is real when it comes to money, but not as far as legacy is concerned. Let's take Nicolino Locche: one of the best defensive boxers that ever lived, MAYBE even better than Mayweather. They are similar: sick defense, not the biggest punching power and not very offensive-minded.
    Both Floyd and Locche had the same substance, but not the same worldwide hype. So - hearing Howard Stern say that he never really heard of Mayweather (and admitting he is a "casual boxing fan") just made me realise that all those PPV numbers and all that money won't really have a lot to do with his legacy.

50 years from now people will just watch Floyd's fights and judge him for what he is as a boxer and they won't know and won't care about the PPV buys. They will say the same thing about him as they said about Locche. Not more and not less. The PPV numbers won't interest anybody 50 years from now.
    Not hating on anyone, just saying what I believe.

Mayweather could sell 200 ppvs and his skill would still speak for itself. Hes one of the most skilled and respected fighters in the history of the sport. Sure the chat room trolls hate him but as a fighter there arent many better than Floyd Mayweather.

Comment

Who cares what Howard Stern says. I was listening ti fox sports radio yesterday, three guys all agreeing Floyd beats Leonard, Hearns and Duran. While I disagree goes to show at least some sports people think extremely high of him.

And he's 36 years old been a champ forever I think it's a little late to say it's all hype haha.

Comment

Now he beats three guys on a level he has never even faught on vs a prime A fighter????

The guy is a stipulation king, and missed over 10 fights!!!

Never faught a fighter like duran , hearns or leonard.
        He fight flatfooterS, those guys are just ad slick as him and fleet footed

Comment

Dumbest **** I ever heard. If stern was a casual boxing fan the last 10 years obviously he knows who floyd is. If not he's not even a casual fan. There are only 3-5 fighters Any casual fan would know over the past 10 years. Mayweather, Pacquiao, De LA Hoya, and probably still Tysons and even Holyfield. Even a lot for so called casual fans don't even know Roy because he never made a PPV splash.

Originally posted by Halls of Fame View Post
          I watched Tyson's recent interview on the Howard Stern show and Stern said he is a casual boxing fan and he has no idea who Mayweather is and that he heard he just earned 40 million dollars. Tyson said Mayweather is awesome but he also agrees watching him box is like watching grass grow (but he didn't say it in a disrespectful way) .

Don't get me wrong, I love watching Floyd box, I really do, he is a magician in there. But I was thinking - what will really become his legacy because hype is not real. It is real when it comes to money, but not as far as legacy is concerned. Let's take Nicolino Locche: one of the best defensive boxers that ever lived, MAYBE even better than Mayweather. They are similar: sick defense, not the biggest punching power and not very offensive-minded.
          Both Floyd and Locche had the same substance, but not the same worldwide hype. So - hearing Howard Stern say that he never really heard of Mayweather (and admitting he is a "casual boxing fan") just made me realise that all those PPV numbers and all that money won't really have a lot to do with his legacy.

50 years from now people will just watch Floyd's fights and judge him for what he is as a boxer and they won't know and won't care about the PPV buys. They will say the same thing about him as they said about Locche. Not more and not less. The PPV numbers won't interest anybody 50 years from now.
          Not hating on anyone, just saying what I believe.

Comment

I totally disagree. Why would you form your opinion based on Howard Stern? Floyd will be remembered as an ATG fighter but if you thnk people wont bring up his box office then you are crazy. He could go down as the biggest grossing fighter ever. Definitely the biggest grossing lil man.

You think people wont mention that? To think that he is a pure boxer and did this, makes it even that more impressive. That will be remembered and brought up as part of his legacy. How can you say that he will be remembered for boxing just as Locche but then say that Locche never had the box office?

In one vain you make them sound similar but you admit that they are not. Floyd did sell and was box office. That will definitely be remembered. If you go to Vegas for his fights and see the crowd, atmosphere then you know that will be a part of his legacy. Even Tyson himself comes to his fights and hardly no one elses.

Comment

Locche couldn't compare to Floyd offensively, they were far off in that department.

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
                I totally disagree. Why would you form your opinion based on Howard Stern? Floyd will be remembered as an ATG fighter but if you thnk people wont bring up his box office then you are crazy. He could go down as the biggest grossing fighter ever. Definitely the biggest grossing lil man.

You think people wont mention that? To think that he is a pure boxer and did this, makes it even that more impressive. That will be remembered and brought up as part of his legacy. How can you say that he will be remembered for boxing just as Locche but then say that Locche never had the box office?

In one vain you make them sound similar but you admit that they are not. Floyd did sell and was box office. That will definitely be remembered. If you go to Vegas for his fights and see the crowd, atmosphere then you know that will be a part of his legacy. Even Tyson himself comes to his fights and hardly no one elses.
                I give you an example: Rocky Graziano was an unbelievable popular fighter and people were dying to see him. Today Graziano is known for being tough, being a HOF'er, fighting Zale in a trilogy and fighting SRR. But the hype around him is not there anymore and probably 99 % of the users here didn't know Graziano was so big.

Comment

Probably not much hype for Graziano because he last fought 61 years ago? Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                    Probably not much hype for Graziano because he last fought 61 years ago? Just a thought.
                    did you even read what I said?
                    I said in 50 years people will watch Floyd's fights and they won't know or won't care about the hype back then.
                    Same with Graziano. People don't even know what kind of hype was surrounding him so many years ago. Understood?
                    What Graziano did in the ring survived, not the hype.

Comment

Working...
                    X