No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Joshua Clottey Begins His Run at Junior Middleweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Joshua Clottey Begins His Run at Junior Middleweight

The boxing world’s attention will be focused on Las Vegas this weekend as Floyd Mayweather squares off with Saúl ‘Canelo’ Álvarez, but over in New York, former IBF welterweight champion, Joshua Clottey, returns to the ring and will be hoping to get onto the world scene in the junior middleweight division.

Clottey was last seen in the ring in November 2011 with a straightforward second round stoppage of Calvin Green. In fact, that has been his only action since losing via a unanimous decision to Manny Pacquiao in March 2010.

Clottey explained the reason for his long absence from the sport, and his hunger and desire to return.

“Well I’m so happy. You know, people thought I had retired but I want to let everyone know I have not retired. I had some promotional and managerial problems but I’m done with that. [Click Here To Read More]

I'm pumped, he'll be a world champion again no doubt.

Comment

He would have struggled at 154 in his prime.

He'll be a stepping stone now.

Comment

Had Clottey stayed active I think Clottey vs Canelo would been a pretty good fight. Gut check for Canelo. He'd lose now on his inactiveness though .

Comment

Nobody can take his poonches.

Comment

How old is he now?

Comment

This guy still crying about the cotto fight I was there live and you loss that's it you got dropped and you were stuck in a dam corner for an entire round just getting hit without throwing punches I call that a 10 to 8 round stop crying and earn the big fights

Comment

Damn, he's 36. I wonder how much he has left in the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by streetwaves View Post
                  Damn, he's 36. I wonder how much he has left in the tank.
                  Probably not much, but I think he'll make a decent showing for himself through 2014.

Comment

I was there too. A very close fight, but Cotto deserved the win. Clottey fought with no urgency in the championship rounds (in MSG, no less, where he should have expected the close rounds to go to Cotto). The round that Cotto had him pinned in the corner -- I wouldn't call that 10-8, though. Cotto also fought almost the entire fight with a gaping cut over his eye, caused by a clash of heads...not a punch.

Put all those things together and Clottey only has himself to blame for not pulling out the decision. If they fought again, Cotto would win again.

That said, the 116-111 score for Cotto was ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                    X