No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward: Reflections Of An American Boxing Star

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Andre Ward: Reflections Of An American Boxing Star

By Jake Donovan - Andre Ward had just won the biggest fight of his career in scoring a unanimous decision win over Carl Froch in the Super Six finals last December, capping off the biggest year he’s enjoyed as a fighter since capturing a Gold medal in the 2004 Summer Olympics. The win came at a price, as he entered with a left hand bruised and fractured in one place, only to suffer an additional fracture midway through the fight.

All of this came following a 26-month tour of facing the best super middleweights in the world during the Super Six World Boxing Classic round-robin tournament.

Between the elevated level of competition, a career-best win capping a career year, the accolades to follow and the injuries suffered both before and during the bout, you’d think that Ward would have been given at least a moment to take it all in and spend the last two weeks of 2011 enjoying some much needed R&R.

Not in today’s demanding society. Instead came questions of when he would step into the ring with Lucian Bute, arguably the world’s best super middleweight that didn’t participate in the Super Six.

“That’s just part of boxing,” Ward says ever so slightly of the situation. “Everyone was demanding a Bute fight 10 minutes after I beat Carl Froch. I made it clear how I feel about him. I don’t feel like I have to prove that I’m willing to fight him. We proved that over the past two years that I’m willing to take on all comers.”

It’s really something that Ward (25-0, 13KO) has proven ever since putting on his first pair of boxing gloves some 18 years ago. The plan was always set in place for the Oakland native to make his run at the right time in his career, which happened to coincide with the start of the Super Six tournament. [Click Here To Read More]

Ward vs Bute has to happen this year. One of the top 3 fights you can make this year.

Comment

nothin but respect for ward.....and the man is trying hard to be exciting i think and it's working ....for me atleast....

classy guy too....props andre...
      Last edited by puga; 01-11-2012, 01:58 AM.

Comment

He hinted he would consider fighting at MW. Bring it on.... Sergio Martinez?

Comment

I would have preferred ward to fight Bute instead of Bute fighting Froch but he deserves to heal his hand and spend time with the wife and kids he's earned it there will be some good fights for him this year anyways I mean he's the 168 SM king right now.

Comment

It's never sat well with me that Bute could sit around waiting for the Super Six to be over then just waltz into a fight with the winner.

For that reason I'm glad that Andre is taking a little break while Froch and Bute get it on.

Comment

Good interview. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Punch View Post
                I probably should've wrapped the quote better - pretty sure he meant as far as options go, anyone from 160-175 is in play, meaning that guys like Martinez et al can move up to face him.

I didn't take it to mean that he'd somehow shrink down to 160, which he hasn't done since early in his career. I think everyone would agree he began to look miles better the moment he moved up to 168 (his lone KD also took place at 160).

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Punch View Post
                  thats all we need...an obvious hopkins protege', going down in weight to fight smaller men...there's enough comp @ 168 and 175 ward can apply his sleep inducing style on geez....

Comment

Andre Ward is not a star. not even close.

will never be a star. NEVER.

0 redeeming qualities. 0 power. 0 X factors. 0 personality. 0 charm.

He's more boring than Bernard and Bernard finished fights when he was Ward's age.

Comment

Working...
                    X