is the philly shell hard to master??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the philly shell

you guys played too much fight night.

it's called a "shoulder roll." you protect your chin with your shoulder, and keep your lead hand low to invite [and "roll"] right hands. you're counterpunching.

and yes, counterpunching is perhaps the most advanced endeavor in boxing. the guys who can pull it off have been among the most advanced in terms of their toolboxes.

if you aren't good with it you'll eat punches or get outworked. see carl froch on how to block right hands with your forehead / nose.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      the philly shell

it's called a "shoulder roll." you protect your chin with your shoulder, and keep your lead hand low to invite [and "roll"] right hands. you're counterpunching.
      Yeah that's the way I understand it. The thing that's even worse about Fight Night is that the boxers run around the ring permanently in the "philly shell". Looks stupid.

To my understanding Philly Shell is indeed just a buzzword currently, the same as how everyone suddenly wants to do mittwork like FMJ.

My input, of course on this would be to have a little look at Locche's videos, the few of them that there are. You'll see all kinds of shoulder roll goodness while actually pressing forward.

To me it seems this guard that FMJ employs rather than being a "Philly Shell" is simply a slightly modified cross arm guard also emplying the shoulder roll. And anyway 80% of the time he's in a high guard I've noticed. Toney is a much better person to study. The world just has FMJ fever at the moment and everything's getting distorted.

Comment

It cant take that much natural ability to use it even floyd mayweather sr didnt get caught by atg chatlie zelenoff and hes in his 50s

Comment

Anything in boxing is extremely hard to master. The "Philly shell" is exceptionally difficult to master, mostly, in my opinion, because even if you learn how to adequately defend from it, it's really hard to transition from defense to offense smoothly in it. I've noticed some guys can understand the defensive fundamentals pertaining to it but struggle to capitalize on offensive openings (i.e. counter punching opportunities).
          Last edited by _original_; 01-30-2014, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            the philly shell

and yes, counterpunching is perhaps the most advanced endeavor in boxing. the guys who can pull it off have been among the most advanced in terms of their toolboxes.

if you aren't good with it you'll eat punches or get outworked. see carl froch on how to block right hands with your forehead / nose.

The shoulder roll is a technique. You dont have to use a philly style/stance to use it.

Saying the "shoulder roll" IS the Philly is like saying the "peek-a-boo" IS slipping punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Beavis_5000 View Post
              The shoulder roll is a technique. You dont have to use a philly style/stance to use it.

Saying the "shoulder roll" IS the Philly is like saying the "peek-a-boo" IS slipping punches.

^^^^^^^
              This

Comment

Originally posted by JabranKhalid View Post
                It depends on your style and natural attributes...I have added the shoulder roll in to my style and have been practicing it for quite some time now.

Here is me(red) a couple of years ago now in the early stages of using the Philly shell.

I am a lot better now. It took quite some time and one or two tough sessions but I have definitely come a long way since this video.

nice video!

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                  Anything in boxing is extremely hard to master. The "Philly shell" is exceptionally difficult to master, mostly, in my opinion, because even if you learn how to adequately defend from it, it's really hard to transition from defense to offense smoothly in it. I've noticed some guys can understand the defensive fundamentals pertaining to it but struggle to capitalize on offensive openings (i.e. counter punching opportunities).
                  I agee, I have Floyd's career dvd set and I don't remeber him ever throwing a left hook or left uppercut out of the shoulder roll and he's still extremely efficient with it. I also have Toney's fights and he seems to be more capable of throwing the left hook while in that stance but he keeps his shoulder lower as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X