No announcement yet.

The fight that really illustrates Errol Spence's flaws

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
    I used to be the guy who saw a highlight and a undefeated record and was the biggest fan in the world. I remember the highlight of Alexander knocking out Urango making me think he was amazing. Then I remember writing off the Kotelnik performance. Then he looked terrible and quit vs Bradley.

I didn't know quite how limited he was until he fought Lee Purdy though, that fight was embarrassing for both men. His win over Maidana is a fu(king anomaly.

We were all new to boxing once though
    It was the Urango fight that convinced me, well rewatching it that is. Like Spence, no head/ upper body movement and the worse part, not a good puncher. The Maidana fight does look weird when you think about now but I think it's one of those cases of having the other guy's number.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      This is the fight that led me to believe Algieri would give Spence trouble. But as another poster stated, Spence has tightened up since then and hasn't looked as vulnerable. That's shows his improvement. Thurman, Garcia, Brook, or Porter better jump on Spence now. The longer the wait the better he gets.
      No doubt, Barrera landed some good shots on Spence. If he could throw straighter shots with more power, he would have maybe fared better. That said, Algieri is a "C" class fighter & and always has been. The only reason he ever got noticed is because he got a gift against Provodnikov, which prompted Pacquiao to fight him. The jury is still out on Spence, but he's demonstrated that he's at least one full class above Algieri.
      Last edited by SUBZER0ED; 08-24-2016, 03:36 PM.

Comment

At 154 he has problems with guys like Lara or Andrade because they will tag him as he comes in and move so he can never set up to beat on their bodies.

At 147 the guys aren't there to really expose his defensive flaws in a terrible way, I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
          It was the Urango fight that convinced me, well rewatching it that is. Like Spence, no head/ upper body movement and the worse part, not a good puncher. The Maidana fight does look weird when you think about now but I think it's one of those cases of having the other guy's number.
          I've never seen the full fight and really don't enjoy Devon Alexander so doubt I will any time soon.

Spence reminds me of Quintana.

Comment

Yea he looked bad in that fight

Comment

Love Canelo, Golovkin (I hate his fans though) and Thurman. Spence to me, I think he gon' go sleep one day if he continues to think a guard is all he needs.

still rough around the edges...it will only take one serious scare for him to change that up

Comment

Winky Wright really only had a guard as defensive and he was considered some kind of defensive master~ so having only a guard as long as he positions his hands properly and has long enough arms to cover up most of his body can work out. Especially if Spence can employ that left handed jab in similar fashion.

His offense will suffer greatly because he will only be able to attack or defend not both at the same time but really not a lot of guys can do that well anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                  Winky Wright really only had a guard as defensive and he was considered some kind of defensive master~ so having only a guard as long as he positions his hands properly and has long enough arms to cover up most of his body can work out. Especially if Spence can employ that left handed jab in similar fashion.

His offense will suffer greatly because he will only be able to attack or defend not both at the same time but really not a lot of guys can do that well anyway.
                  Yep and Spence loves his leverage.

Comment

Yep and Spence loves his leverage.
                    If he can use the guard to press in and bulldoze a guy to the ropes then go to work with shorts shots it can work because the other dude will be so out of position it won't matter that he doesn't defend in another way.

What he does can work, just there are some pretty big questions he needs to answer when dealing with a guy who is long, accurate from the outside with straight shots and has good legs. Those dudes do tend to be the most problematic for most fighters though.

Comment

Love Canelo, Golovkin (I hate his fans though) and Thurman. Spence to me, I think he gon' go sleep one day if he continues to think a guard is all he needs.
                      And he's only fought light punchers so far.

I'd like to see him fight someone with some pop next.

Comment

Working...
                      X