No announcement yet.

Roy Jones Appreciation Thread: The best boxer of all time in my opinion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
    Not the GOAT, but a true ATG. He was absolutely amazing to watch. He really was like Superman in that ring.
    ive watched a lot of boxing...all the greats that footage is available of...he is the best fighter i've ever seen

you cant pick your era or who is there to fight but based on talent...he beat several hall of famers and champs...on his abilty alone...he is the best fighter Ive seen in their prime

its just my humble opinion...there are a lot of fighters I hold at a high esteem for certain reasons but this dude was a once in a lifetime talent

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      this an appreciation thread bro....im not even entertaining posts like this....Roy Jones is an all time great...dont think so, move to another thread
      I said Jones is great didn't I? I just find it funny how people change their standards with people they like.

Comment

I dont even think a fighter Jones size with the mind and natural talent of Mayweather could bank enough rounds on him

I dont see anyone coming close to him....I got similar feelings watching Mayweather in the late 90s....especially at 130, when he moved up in weight his style and aggressiveness changed past 140....he went from reminding me of a lightweight jones with a dash of hopkins into another style entirely...more whitaker...a defensive fighter who is underrated on the inside and toughness wise....That counter Maidana landed on him in fight 2 wouldve knocked out most the welters today and it was a clean shot...Floyds expression didnt even change, looked clear headed too

Jones was untouchable until he was 34-35
        His decline is obviously not age but the enormous drop in weight so suddenly. He didn't lose fat but muscle. Age did factor but not as much as the weight. 8 months losing 30 lbs of muscle has to be horrible for the brain and body. Many fans don't realize the destruction cutting weight does to the body and brain.

When it comes to Floyd, I do agree in some parts but he in my eyes wasn't as flashy but direct with his skills,speed,power. I'm a believer Floyd changed his style for many reasons but mostly because of multiple fractors of his hands. So Floyd became more dependent on skills and speed. Becoming more defensive, less offensive. Something Jones should have done, after losing his natural abilities which hear apparent before Tarver2.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
          I said Jones is great didn't I? I just find it funny how people change their standards with people they like.
          he had an over the counter supplement that had traces of an illegal substance in it....thats been debunked and resolved and its totally different than outright juicing...A lot I dont even entertain a lot of the mess people talk about on this site....they'll do anything to discredit a fighter they dislike but act oblivious of the misdeeds of others

anyway..this an appreciation thread...leave that nitpicking crap in the other threads

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
            His decline is obviously not age but the enormous drop in weight so suddenly. He didn't lose fat but muscle. Age did factor but not as much as the weight. 8 months losing 30 lbs of muscle has to be horrible for the brain and body. Many fans don't realize the destruction cutting weight does to the body and brain.

When it comes to Floyd, I do agree in some parts but he in my eyes wasn't as flashy but direct with his skills,speed,power. I'm a believer Floyd changed his style for many reasons but mostly because of multiple fractors of his hands. So Floyd became more dependent on skills and speed. Becoming more defensive, less offensive. Something Jones should have done, after losing his natural abilities which hear apparent before Tarver2.
            Age had a lot to do with it too. You could see his decline starting against the likes of Derrick Harmon.

Comment

that weight drop was a nail in the coffin....jones incorporated his athleticism a little more than Floyd to his style...Mayweather was a bit more technical

Roy Jones punch resistence went to hell after that Johnson ko....that ko by tarver was a shot he didnt see coming...he took a beating then his head popped off the canvas

ever notice how his body goes limp after he gets hit on the temple or side of his head....like he has a shut off switch that went off after Johnson....Jones had a good chin before moving up and down

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                Age had a lot to do with it too. You could see his decline starting against the likes of Derrick Harmon.
                age played a part....but the real damage was to his psyche...he was never mentally the same after that Tarver KO...he lost what made him special....his confidence to improvise, counter, and punch with opponents...only win he felt it was someone he could let loose on like Sheika and Lacy did he look good...we saw flashes of the old jones vs Tarver 3.....Vs Johnson he sat on the ropes and got battered, he saw some of the shots, a lot hit the arms, shoulders but his he went limp after that temple shot and the way his head hit the canvas it was the end of his punch resistence...he took a long beating and that didnt help after that

Comment

that weight drop was a nail in the coffin....jones incorporated his athleticism a little more than Floyd to his style...Mayweather was a bit more technical

Roy Jones punch resistence went to hell after that Johnson ko....that ko by tarver was a shot he didnt see coming...he took a beating then his head popped off the canvas

ever notice how his body goes limp after he gets hit on the temple or side of his head....like he has a shut off switch that went off after Johnson....Jones had a good chin before moving up and down
                  That's what I'm saying, that weight drop and back up deminished that punch resistance. That huge cut in weight took from his athleticism and mind. Had he stayed at heavyweight or just dropped 5lbs to unify the cruiserweight titles; I truly believe Jones could have continued at the elite level. Once again, 30lbs in 8 months and most of that weight muscle.

Comment

That's what I'm saying, that weight drop and back up deminished that punch resistance. That huge cut in weight took from his athleticism and mind. Had he stayed at heavyweight or just dropped 5lbs to unify the cruiserweight titles; I truly believe Jones could have continued at the elite level. Once again, 30lbs in 8 months and most of that weight muscle.
                    I was hoping he fought Jirov for the IBF after Ruiz got signed then my boy Toney goes on to fight him....oh well...he definitely wouldve did well at cruiser and unified...Cruiser was heating up too in the early to mid 2000s..... o'neil bell, Kelvin Davis, Braithwaite, Jean marc Mormeck and others...the divison is underrated in that era....probably was the best cruiserweight era in the mid 2000s

Comment

he had an over the counter supplement that had traces of an illegal substance in it....thats been debunked and resolved and its totally different than outright juicing...A lot I dont even entertain a lot of the mess people talk about on this site....they'll do anything to discredit a fighter they dislike but act oblivious of the misdeeds of others

anyway..this an appreciation thread...leave that nitpicking crap in the other threads
                      Lol debunked. Sure man.

Anyways, Jones was amazing vs Toney. I remember that fight like it was yesterday. The way he beat Toney made me realize that he is a great boxer. Andro or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X