Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: The Happy Ending for a Tuesday Night Fights Action Hero

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: The Happy Ending for a Tuesday Night Fights Action Hero

By Thomas Gerbasi - For nearly 16 years, the USA Network’s Tuesday Night Fights series was a refuge for the serious boxing fan, and for an entire generation of aficionados, “Saigon” Skipper Kelp was our Arturo Gatti before “Thunder” became the human highlight reel of the sport.

Blessed with a debilitating left hook, speed, and an offensive mindset that overruled any serious thought of defense, Kelp was the guy who didn’t disappoint, the one who made it worth your while every time you tuned in. In other words, he was that rarity or rarities: a made for television fighter.

“You know what it was, where I may have lacked the boxing technique at the time because I relied a lot on speed, tenacity and power, I figure if a guy was a better boxer than me, I was gonna overwhelm him,” said Kelp. “And if I got a guy hurt, I wanted to finish it. I wanted to get him out of there.”

If he even sensed he had you on your back foot, Kelp would unleash combinations from all angles, almost always capped off with that left hook. And if he caught you clean, you usually took a nap.

Of course, careers like that don’t usually last too long, and Kelp’s run as a pro lasted just 29 fights from 1990 to 1998. He never held or fought for a world title either, but what makes Kelp a boxing success story is that a) he is still remembered today for his exciting fights and style, and b) when he walked away, he stayed away. And staying away – especially after leaving the sport at the age of 28 - may be even harder than winning a world championship. Not that it was easy for him. [Click Here To Read More]

This an article that every boxing fan and fighter should read. Good good read.

Comment

Nice story with 1 major flaw, Kelp was a Top Rank fighter and appeared on ESPN, not USA.

Comment

I remember well Tuesday Night Fights on USA Network during the 80’s and 90’s. Great fights and great time for boxing. They should bring it back. Very good article here.

Comment

That was such a good program they had back then. Tuesday Night Fights would bring you live fights in the middle of the week. So many good fights in that show. Jesse James Hughes was another action fighter that was fun to watch.

Comment

Boxing has no mid-week fight slot anymore. Fight nights are Friday and Saturday and those are the worst nights for TV ratings, made even worse because boxing is always on so late.

Comment

Kelp fought Tony Martin for the USBA Welterweight title on 9/17/96. It WAS on USA Network.
              Martin won handlily. It was at the Pikesville Armory and Stu Satosky was the promoter.

Comment

I miss Tues night fights! I loved Tues night fights! I am the fan I am today because of Tues night! WTF happened??

Comment

Working...
                X