No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson's ring attire...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Tyson's ring attire...

I never much thought about it, but why did Mike insist on wearing only black trunks since '86? Also, was he the innovator in wearing a torn towel? I don't recall any boxers really doing that prior to him...

He wore fully black in remembrance of Cus D'Amato.

Comment

Yeah he wore the solid black trunks and boots as a method of mourning I think.

Comment

Wasn't the all black copying Marciano?

Comment

I thought the black shoes no socks was after Dempsey?

Comment

Originally posted by cja07007 View Post
            That's what I thought. And Mike was wearing that gear before D'Amato died too.

Comment

Originally posted by cja07007 View Post
              Yeah it was after Dempsey.

Comment

I believe Mike was even fined once by the commission for rockin the black trunks to a fight when he was supposed to show in a different color (the commentators mention it, though I don't recall which fight it was).

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Dazed View Post
                  I believe Mike was even fined once by the commission for rockin the black trunks to a fight when he was supposed to show in a different color (the commentators mention it, though I don't recall which fight it was).
                  The Berbick fight. The champion gets to wear the colors and Tyson had to pay a hefty fine for wearing it also. It was his shining moment so I can understand it.

Comment

Tysons number one boxing hero is Dempsey! His style is from Cus but the method is all Dempsey. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                    X