No announcement yet.

Pacquiao's Catchweight Criticism

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    The Margarito fight...Good Lord. I don't like to use the word cherry pick but...man, it suits that fight so perfectly. A fighter coming off a mediocre performance, preceded by a year long suspension which came after a complete ass whipping defeat. At a catchweight for a made up title. How people defended that fight was beyond me.

Anyway, I still give Manny credit for the Cotto win. Hella impressive. But you're right, he had a chance to do more but ended up doing squat afterward.
    It wasn't 'squat.' Clottey was a top contender. He deserved the Bradley win, and that was a high quality foe. Margarito was a bad event but a tougher fight in the ring than most give credit for (because it sucked that it got made). It wasn't what it could have been and was less than it was being made out to be. It wasn't nothing though. Someone with lesser expectations wouldn't have taken much crit.

In the end it all comes back to Floyd. Had his team taken the March 2010 fight and not killed it (and I still say it was the Pac side, more so because Arum WANTED that Cowboys show), win or lose, he'd get more credit in the long run because that was THE fight he needed to seal his run and that was the time when he had the best chance to win it.

Still, his run from Ledwaba to Cotto was one of the best I've ever seen and one of the best we're going to see for the forseeable future. Epic stuff. That it could have been even more than that is what sucks. I want to see someone who is clearly one of the greats in this time reach as far as they can without blinking. Haven't really seen that since Duran; maybe Whitaker. Tito Trinidad reached pretty damn hard too. It's rare.

Instead the guys who seem to reach farthest are guys like Corrales and Froch and Darchinyan. Maybe that's why I love them more in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Burner © View Post
      I wish alt busters were still around because its clear this "Junior Gong" guy was a former spamming troll who tried to come back as a serious poster. You're not fooling anyone.

He's already outed himself. Couldn't keep it together for too long. Can't pretend to be a serious poster when you don't know how to be one in the first place.
      I see a lot of these kind of posts on here. Its amusing that you people seem to think that only one or two people can possibly think that you are bumsniffing fanboys.

On another note...The people that classify themselves a 'serious poster' haha, are generally total arseholes who spend too much time on forums and take themselves too seriously and almost always have an agenda based on teenage style fanaticism over one fighter(Burner, yesir etc.) or even worse, a race based agenda, i.e IM(an african, sir)DAZED. Sad little men.
      Last edited by junior gong; 02-04-2013, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
        It wasn't 'squat.' Clottey was a top contender. He deserved the Bradley win, and that was a high quality foe. Margarito was a bad event but a tougher fight in the ring than most give credit for (because it sucked that it got made). It wasn't what it could have been and was less than it was being made out to be. It wasn't nothing though. Someone with lesser expectations wouldn't have taken much crit.

In the end it all comes back to Floyd. Had his team taken the March 2010 fight and not killed it (and I still say it was the Pac side, more so because Arum WANTED that Cowboys show), win or lose, he'd get more credit in the long run because that was THE fight he needed to seal his run and that was the time when he had the best chance to win it.

Still, his run from Ledwaba to Cotto was one of the best I've ever seen and one of the best we're going to see for the forseeable future. Epic stuff. That it could have been even more than that is what sucks. I want to see someone who is clearly one of the greats in this time reach as far as they can without blinking. Haven't really seen that since Duran; maybe Whitaker. Tito Trinidad reached pretty damn hard too. It's rare.

Instead the guys who seem to reach farthest are guys like Corrales and Froch and Darchinyan. Maybe that's why I love them more in the ring.
        I say squat because Joshua Clottey doesn't enhance his resume. Neither did beating Margarito. Wasn't impressed by either win. At all.

Comment

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
          I see a lot of these kind of posts on here. Its amusing that you people seem to think that only one or two people can possibly think that you are bumsniffing fanboys.
          ***Yawns***

Comment

Originally posted by Burner © View Post
            BS after he fought Oscar at 147 pounds there was no need for him to handicap Cotto. Period.
            If you cant understand this...find another sport!

Manny is coming up in weight vs Cotto is staying in shape to Make the 147 limit.
            Meaning...Cotto can easily go up over the 147 mark...Manny cannot. Hes just moving up in weight. You should at least get that. But i will help you more!

08 Manny vs JMM 130lbs - 08 Cotto vs Gomez 146˝lbs
            08 Manny vs Diaz 135lbs - 08 Cott0 vs Marg 147lbs

08 Manny vs DLH cw145 - Mannys first time at 145 10lbs heavier than his last fight 15lbs heavier in his last 5 years.... Making sure DLH WOULDNT blow up from 147 mark in short time on fight night make sure that they meet in the WW limit of 141-147...more than middle...go with 145. Manny goes up DLH comes down...In ignorance theory...some think you have to make 147...You have to be within the limit of 141-147...not exceeding 147! Fact!!! lets get to cotto...

09 Manny VS Hatton 140lbs - 09 Cotto vs Jennings 146˝
            (Manny didnt care for 10 extra lbs and wanted to fight at 140 as did with Hatton)
            09 Manny waits outcome.....09 Cotto vs Clottey 146lbs
            then the big weight drain showdown where Manny drained cotto a whole 1 ****ing lb!!!
            09 Manny vs Cotto cw 145

as agreed with no stress or fuss from Team Cotto! i mean hes been weighing in at 146 or a tad bit over. despite still nearly reaching 150lbs ob fight night while Manny whos second time 10lbs over his fairly new weight of 135 is coming up in weight ...how dare them ask for a pound or two.!!!!!!! GTFO!!!

Now if anyone cant understand or get this...you are a dumb ass! plain and simple.

Comment

I say squat because Joshua Clottey doesn't enhance his resume. Neither did beating Margarito. Wasn't impressed by either win. At all.
              Clottey was the best available Welter after Floyd in the moment so it didn't take away either, and he won going away over a guy who had proven tough on every other top Welter he'd seen. I get your point though. The low point to me was Mosley. Grotesque fight, and the way he carried him (IMO) was worse.

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
                If you cant understand this...find another sport!

Manny is coming up in weight vs Cotto is staying in shape to Make the 147 limit.
                Meaning...Cotto can easily go up over the 147 mark...Manny cannot. Hes just moving up in weight. You should at least get that. But i will help you more!

08 Manny vs JMM 130lbs - 08 Cotto vs Gomez 146˝lbs
                08 Manny vs Diaz 135lbs - 08 Cott0 vs Marg 147lbs

08 Manny vs DLH cw145 - Mannys first time at 145 10lbs heavier than his last fight 15lbs heavier in his last 5 years.... Making sure DLH WOULDNT blow up from 147 mark in short time on fight night make sure that they meet in the WW limit of 141-147...more than middle...go with 145. Manny goes up DLH comes down...In ignorance theory...some think you have to make 147...You have to be within the limit of 141-147...not exceeding 147! Fact!!! lets get to cotto...

09 Manny VS Hatton 140lbs - 09 Cotto vs Jennings 146˝
                (Manny didnt care for 10 extra lbs and wanted to fight at 140 as did with Hatton)
                09 Manny waits outcome.....09 Cotto vs Clottey 146lbs
                then the big weight drain showdown where Manny drained cotto a whole 1 ****ing lb!!!
                09 Manny vs Cotto cw 145

as agreed with no stress or fuss from Team Cotto! i mean hes been weighing in at 146 or a tad bit over. despite still nearly reaching 150lbs ob fight night while Manny whos second time 10lbs over his fairly new weight of 135 is coming up in weight ...how dare them ask for a pound or two.!!!!!!! GTFO!!!

Now if anyone cant understand or get this...you are a dumb ass! plain and simple.
                Its not that he cant, its more that he refuses to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
                  Its not that he cant, its more that he refuses to understand.
                  If he refuses that...something is wrong upstairs! :AYWOoD:

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                    Clottey was the best available Welter after Floyd in the moment so it didn't take away either, and he won going away over a guy who had proven tough on every other top Welter he'd seen. I get your point though. The low point to me was Mosley. Grotesque fight, and the way he carried him (IMO) was worse.
                    The Dark Ages of the Pacquiao era.

Comment

The Dark Ages of the Pacquiao era.
                      Ironically, he looked better in the ring this year than he did last year. 0-2.

He may have a Duran-Barkley or Moore moment left but the times are a changing.

Comment

Working...
                      X