Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exactly do they mean when they describe a wrestler having natural hips ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly do they mean when they describe a wrestler having natural hips ?

I wrestled briefly in high school, i was just a novice, so my knowledge of the sport is nil to none. But, I hear from time to time when I listen to MMA commentators and they mention that such and such fighter has "great hips" or "natural hips". What exactly are they getting at ?

How can one tell the difference between someone who has natural hips and who doesn't ?

2 hips

wrestler hips: strong sturdy balanced good lateral movement.

BJJ hips: wide range of motion very mobile, flexible, and fast movement.

the combination of wrestler hips when on top or standing with BJJ hips when fighting off your back would probably be good or natural hips.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Shen View Post
      2 hips

wrestler hips: strong sturdy balanced good lateral movement.

BJJ hips: wide range of motion very mobile, flexible, and fast movement.

the combination of wrestler hips when on top or standing with BJJ hips when fighting off your back would probably be good or natural hips.
      What do you mean by having hips that is "balanced, good lateral movement" Can you show me examples, like some vids of the net and post 'em here.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 on 1 View Post
        What do you mean by having hips that is "balanced, good lateral movement" Can you show me examples, like some vids of the net and post 'em here.
        balanced, good lateral movement: 2 diffrent things balanced and good lateral movement not balanced good lateral movement in case thats what you thought.

Lateral movement: move your hip left, move your hip right.

balanced: i just tried to take you down but it didn't work because you have good balance.

Comment

I think it often times is used in reference to takedown situations, as well as grappling situations, whereby one man is able to overpower his opponent with his hips. Probably the best example I can think of is Fedor. For example, when he fought Naoya Ogawa (who so happens to be a judo world champ and Olympic silver medalist), Naoya went for a takedown, and Fedor completely reversed him by torquing his hips.

(Short video)

Another example of great hip usage can be seen in the video below from the final match of the 2006 184 pound NCAA championships (2:08).

(Shane Webster, the guy from Oregon in the green actually wrestled for a rival highschool of mine across town. He was untouchable though, and was also a three time state champ.)

Comment

Working...
          X