DNA testing confirms Nile crocodiles are loose in Florida

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...rida/84643472/

I find it odd that the researchers are unsure of how they got there given Florida's well documented problem with the exotic pet trade leading to a significant number of invasive species from green iguanas and veiled chameleons to Burmese pythons and other huge constrictors like African rock pythons.

Idiots in Florida have been importing dangerous wildlife from around the world as pets and then inevitably releasing them in to the wild when they get to be too much of a burden for the better part of the last decade. Their irresponsibility has basically created an entirely new ecosystem where previous apex predators like the mostly harmless American alligator are now being preyed upon by African man eaters.

Climate change also plays a role in having increased the overall temperature during the winter months to the point where these monster reptile species are actually able to survive it instead of dying off from exposure like they would've a decade or two ago.

Discuss.
    Surely you're joking. No way crocodiles are consistently preying on similarly sized crocodilians, right? Not downplaying the significance of this news, I'm genuinely curious if the crocs heightened aggression allows it to regularly dominate alligators.

Comment

If its an African species expect them to be bigger more aggressive with bigger penises and a stronger libido and faster running speed.

Basically the home grown crocs are gonna be raped, out bred, eaten, and protected with guns
      Last edited by AlexKid; 05-21-2016, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
        If its an African species expect them to be bigger more aggressive with bigger penises and a stronger libido and faster running speed.

Basically the home grown crocs are gonna be raped, out bred, eaten, and protected with guns
        Wait until you see what happens when we take the African from it's natural habitat and breed if with the American. The African American is supposed to be an even more athletic specimen than either purebred species.

Comment

Originally posted by Gods We Faked View Post
          Surely you're joking. No way crocodiles are consistently preying on similarly sized crocodilians, right? Not downplaying the significance of this news, I'm genuinely curious if the crocs heightened aggression allows it to regularly dominate alligators.
          Not joking at all. Crocodiles have a pretty well-documented history of cannibalism (although it's admittedly a different species with alligators). They eat their own all the time, so there's no reason to believe that alligators aren't also on the menu for them.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-34991815

American alligators max out at 8-11 feet long and between 500-1,000lbs (though 1,000lbs is an absolute extreme estimate, most never get close to that) depending on whether or not they're male of female.

By comparison, and also in extreme cases, Nile crocodiles have been documented topping out at 20 feet long and weighing in at almost 1,700lbs.

Here's the wikipedia page for the most notorious Nile crocodile in human history : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_%28crocodile%29

Hell, even the invasive anacondas and other large pythons have been documented eating the American Alligator in the everglades over the last few years.

http://www.golf.com/extra-spin/allig...da-golf-course

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...eatsgator.html

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...lorida/252359/

The American Alligator has a bad rep as being a big, brute badass and, while they certainly can become quite large and intimidating, they're mostly harmless to human beings due to their remarkably lower levels of aggression when compared to crocodiles.

Comment

Here's another video from the Florida everglades of yet another encounter between a Burmese python and an American alligator. The alligator was quite fortunate in being the larger of the two animals in this encounter, but notice how the python initiates the fight like a drunk dude with a Napoleon complex at the bar.

Eventually the much larger alligator was just like "fine, **** it, you win, whatever" and had to peace out because these African and Asian reptiles basically act like drunk manlets.

Comment

Alligators are sweethearts. I used to leave near the everglades, and all you needed to do was drive about 5 minutes south from where I lived to see alligators.

They never once bothered anyone, never any news reports, no problems at all the entire time I lived there.

Comment

Another fine example of invasive Asian species being aggressive d*cks.

Comment

Originally posted by !BEAST View Post
                  Alligators are sweethearts. I used to leave near the everglades, and all you needed to do was drive about 5 minutes south from where I lived to see alligators.

They never once bothered anyone, never any news reports, no problems at all the entire time I lived there.

The only time I ever consistently hear about alligators is when they're a nuisance like when they end up in someone's pool or take up the artificial ponds on golf courses and the like.

I've been to an alligator farm before when I lived in Florida briefly and I'll never forget how docile they are. Really, their behavior reminded me a lot of a souped up version of my then pet at the time, a green iguana. They basically just wanted to eat and, once full, would spend the rest of their time just grazing in the sun.

Like this chill dude.

Obviously they can and will **** you up under the right circumstances, but a little respect goes a long way.

Comment

Working...
                  X