Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe Calzaghe above average only

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The super middleweight is a young division. In the future guys like calzaghe will be the fighters that are looked back on and compared with newer guys. I personally think that Benn and prime Eubank would beat him but thats my oppinion.
    Calzaghe is the first supermiddle with the ring belt and perhaps future belt holders will strive to equal his achievements, but that will be a hard thing to do. He's been overated since he beat Lacy but he was underated before that fight. He is a great fighter but he also has many faults, one of them being that he constantly pulls out of fights and also his unwillingness to travel to the USA for the big name fighters. If he did this he would get much more respect IMO.

Comment

Yea, I totally agree with those comments, I believe as stated earlier that Benn, Eubank and Watson at their peak would have destroyed Calzaghe at his! I just can't believe that people are so naive that they think he's great, they are probably the same people who claimed naseem hamed was the next big thing, or for that matter audley harrison?!?!
      Any title holder could theoretically match his achievements (or lack of them really) by fighting sub-standard opposition, fortunately unlike Calzaghe and Hamed they don't want that!

Comment

The sad fact is that Flagellum Dei is right, Calzaghe has avoided the top boxers in the division for years, and now he boasts the recorded of being the champ for seven years. This sounds impressive but look at who he fought. We can all remember the snooze fests of Dave Starie, Richie Woodhall, and Robin Reid. If he wants to be the best why not fight Dariusz Michalczewski, Mikkel Kessler, or Antonio Tarver all fighters that would beat him.
        He will end up fighting Clinton Woods or Brian Magee or even as he is interested in fighting lighter boxers (Bernard Hopkins) and easy domestic fight Howard Eastman.

Comment

prime calzaghe has the speed and power to trouble any super middleweight in history

Comment

Calzaghe has stamina, speed, power, skill, chin....
            He is still undefeated and is still very quick. He is soo much of a natural born fighter, it's amazing.
            If he wins against Mikkel Kessler/Jermain Taylor (what i expected) he will go down in history as the greatest SMW-CHampion of all time. Without a doubt.

Why nobody blame Marvin Hagler for fighting SRL, Duran and Hearns, but they try to blame Calzaghe for fighting a strong SMW like Lacy or for calling out a legend like Hopkins, who has a strong lhw-body ??

In my opinion Calzaghe should fight Kessler. But i heard Kessler has problems with his body and is not ready to fight in February. But i hope they can make that fight and later in the year the fight against Taylor. Wins against these hungry champions would cement Joe's legacy.

@col What are you talking?
            Dariusz Michalczewski is a LHW, who is retired and happy and has no ambitions to make a second comeback-fight after >Tiozzo beat him badly. Calzaghe wanted to fight Tarver because he knew that Tarver was a hype but good old Hopkins exposed Tarver. WHich great fighter Calzaghe should have fought? The only big name in the SMW-Devision was Sven Ottke, who refused to fight Calzaghe in GERMANY (look at the after-fight interview with Calzaghe after he punished Mario veit the first time. Ottke was scared).
            Last edited by TonyJ; 11-05-2006, 01:07 PM.

Comment

If Roy Jones, James Toney, Bernard Hopkins, Antonio Tarver and many others weren't ducking him, Calzaghe would have a much better resume and a fatter bank account. But you can hardly blame them. Calzaghe would have whipped their asses and they wouldn't have made much money in the process. Calzaghe's biggest problem has been a mismanaged career.

Comment

Originally posted by potatoes View Post
                If Roy Jones, James Toney, Bernard Hopkins, Antonio Tarver and many others weren't ducking him, Calzaghe would have a much better resume and a fatter bank account. But you can hardly blame them. Calzaghe would have whipped their asses and they wouldn't have made much money in the process. Calzaghe's biggest problem has been a mismanaged career.
                OMFG, please shut the **** up. ALl of those fighters would've whooped Cal***gies ass and then made him suck their dick!

Calz*** is the most overrated boxer today, he's got a padded career. You don't want to admit it, you want to think that Cal*** has beaten the best of the best! He hasn't done ****! Who has Cal*** beaten that COULD actually beat those fighters? Tell me, NOBODY! So please, get off of his dick already, he wouldn't have a chance against them even in his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooks View Post
                  OMFG, please shut the **** up. ALl of those fighters would've whooped Cal***gies ass and then made him suck their dick!

Calz*** is the most overrated boxer today, he's got a padded career. You don't want to admit it, you want to think that Cal*** has beaten the best of the best! He hasn't done ****! Who has Cal*** beaten that COULD actually beat those fighters? Tell me, NOBODY! So please, get off of his dick already, he wouldn't have a chance against them even in his prime.

O'Neil Bell has been ducking Calzaghe too. The cowards claim Calzaghe hasn't faught anybody, and that is true, he hasn't fought any cowards!

Comment

Yea, I agree with Hooks, everytime Calzaghe had a faint possibility of fighting someone who wasn't as old as Bing Crosby or as strong as Tweety Pie's granny, then he would mysteriously hurt his hand, or his back injury would suddenly flare up! "Oooh I've hurt my hand whilst bringing in the shopping from the car"; or "oh, whilst bending over to get my crumpets out of the toaster I may have damaged my back"!

Get him in with a vastly improved Clinton Woods, or Glen Johnston! Then after those bouts he really will have some genuine injuries to whinge about

Comment

Who the **** is Glen Johnson??? He is a life-long journeyman. His sucess shows how bad the LHW-devision was. Antonio Tarver is a bum. Period. He was easily outboxed by Eric Harding. Look at Tarver's performance against Jones 3 and Hopkins. This war crap. And he is still ranked #1 by the ring magazine only because he is an American.
                      Why doesn't BHop want to fight Calzaghe. I guess it would be an easy fight. Why didn't he fight Calzaghe in 2001 for 4M P, which would be a big payday for him.
                      A true boxing legend, the one and only Sugar Ray Leonard realized how good Calzaghe is and you American still can't stop hating.
                      Calzaghe will beat Taylor, and he will show that he is the best fighter today. But after that you will claim that Taylor was just a hype or that he was too small
                      Last edited by TonyJ; 11-06-2006, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X