No announcement yet.

Two other "Americans" that should have been DQ: Marciano and Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two other "Americans" that should have been DQ: Marciano and Tyson

This was brought to my attention a while back from a British poster. The two opponents in these fights were British. It is interesting to look at. I don't know exactly what the rule book states and I do think it tends to just serve as a guideline for refs to see what they want to ease up on...but anyway....

It also shows the difference when an opponent can get back up vs. someone that is knocked out and can't get up...like Griffin vs. Jones Jr...so I think it leaves the ref in a position where he has to give the DQ. Of course, in the case of this fight with Dirrell...Dirrell was winning. But anyway....refs don't all follow the same book.

Now you have hitting behind the head (which was common with Marciano) that one looked really damaging and hitting when the man is down. I'm not quite sure his knee touched the canvas just yet. Matter of inches maybe. Need a cleaner video to be positive but I see the point.

Tyson vs. Bruno:

3:36+ Bruno's Glove was down. Slow-mo replay at 6:50. Maybe not the cleanest of full power shots landed but still touched.

Very loose view on how things go with the ref in order to let a fight continue on without stopping it. History can be changed in a matter of seconds.
    Last edited by Benny Leonard; 03-28-2010, 02:03 AM.
Working...
X