Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

structured boxing classes vs. come in at your own time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• structured boxing classes vs. come in at your own time?

I was reading this guide on what to look for in a boxing gym and this point came across.

"Eliminate most (but not all) gyms that have structured boxing classes. Classes are great for fitness crowds and hobbyists, and I know that a lot of grappling sports are taught this way, but they do not a great boxer make. As the popularity of boxing and kickboxing has exploded, all sorts of gyms have tried to cash in by offering instruction and classes in these sports. Look, there is nothing wrong with boxing classes, but they are not usually geared towards making a competent fighter. Some quality boxing gyms have started adding class times in order to offer the best of both worlds. They have the guys training for fights in the back, while a 7:00 pm boxing class grooves to the latest in top 40 beats. That’s all well and good, and I have seen some very respectable gyms do this. In fact, my favorite gym that I have trained at was set up like this. I would not automatically rule these hybrid places out, just be sure to check carefully into their fighters and coaches."

I'm used to structured classes after so many years of wrestling and BJJ. What's the issue with them?

I think training in your own time is better. People like me have very little choice as every boxing club in a local area is only classes.

Comment

Working...
    X