Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which fighter of this last decade do you think will make the best future trainer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which fighter of this last decade do you think will make the best future trainer?

I gotta go with Bernard.

Discuss...

Originally posted by sandyvahra View Post
    I gotta go with Bernard.

Discuss...
    im actually going to take marquez on that one. but bernard is a good choice as well

Comment

I could see Floyd being a great trainer once his career is over and his celebrity has dead down a little. His boxer IQ is greater than most trainers and his ability to dissect styles and pinpoint flaws would help any fighter that decided to use his expertise. Bernard Hopkins is another fighter that I'd pick as a trainer.

Comment

Barrera or Mosley, Whitaker too but I think he's already doing that.

Comment

It's probably gonna be someone with the not so amazing career. Someone that had the right boxing mind, but not the best skills to match.

I'm gonna say I could see Paul Malignaggi being a trainer one day in the distant distant future proudly teaching his style and living vicariously through fighters with the pop he was never blessed with.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dreamer View Post
            It's probably gonna be someone with the not so amazing career. Someone that had the right boxing mind, but not the best skills to match.I'm gonna say I could see Paul Malignaggi being a trainer one day in the distant distant future proudly teaching his style and living vicariously through fighters with the pop he was never blessed with.
            This is what I was basically going to say.

Its hard for great athletes to be great coaches or trainers sometimes because they have those extra intangibles that other players or fighters don't.

Whitaker could never teach someone to be as effective on defense as he was because what he had was natural. Floyd couldn't teach anyone to counter like he does because his speed and reactions are natural.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Kapp View Post
              This is what I was basically going to say.

Its hard for great athletes to be great coaches or trainers sometimes because they have those extra intangibles that other players or fighters don't.

Whitaker could never teach someone to be as effective on defense as he was because what he had was natural. Floyd couldn't teach anyone to counter like he does because his speed and reactions are natural.
              I have to disagree with you on Floyd, I do believe that he would be a great trainer. Remember his dad and uncle were both boxers before they were trainers and both became excellent trainers. I do believe that Floyd will become an excellent trainer some day due to the skills and insight that he has for boxing.

Comment

I would have Floyd Jr.

Comment

First name that came to mind was Floyd actually, but every name that has been mentioned i agree with - Hopkins, Paulie, Marquez, maybe Mosley. Sadly i cant think of any British fighter.

- Possibly Calzaghe but he was just natural, he adjusted throughout fights rather than studying tapes and making game plans.

- Def not Hatton, he isnt smart enough.

- I dont think Haye is smart enough either, he still makes basic mistakes e.g. Backs off in a straight line every single time if he gets pushed back.

- Khan.....well no....thicker than Hatton.

- Lewis would actually IMO, but hes decided to go off down another road.

- Prince Naz just doesnt seem interested in the sport anymore, plus i dont think he had a clue himself about what he was gonna do on fight night lol.

- The we have the jokes of the British HW scene, Skelton, Audley, Williams, Sprott etc

Comment

His style was unorthodox but I think Roy Jones would make a very good trainer, listening to him talk about boxing and his commentary on HBO makes me believe he'd be a really good trainer as long as he doesn't try to make the fighters he's training become like him.

Comment

Working...
                    X