No announcement yet.

Best Smallest 16oz Sparring Gloves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Smallest 16oz Sparring Gloves?

I'm new to boxing and when I sparred with the gym's gloves, they felt giant and clunky. It wasn't so much about the weight of the gloves but the actual mass of them.

I'd prefer to have my own gear in general, so what would be the best sparring gloves that aren't giant and clunky but still are safe and weigh 16oz?

For reference, I'm 170lbs and 5'9.

Thanks for the help!

Go to a equipment outlook that carries boxing gear and try them on. Theres lots of brand names and picking gloves should be personal. As for spar gloves I used and offered in my gym 14oz. gloves (Everlast, Shevland, Reyes) 16oz are to big compared to fight gloves (10oz)(8oz).
    However if everyone wears 16oz in the gym you spar at then by all means buy 16oz. Ray.

Comment

I personally would never let my fighters wear 14oz gloves to spar unless they are very small guys.

Reason being is because it's good to work out with them so when you do put on the fight gloves, they feel like you have nothing on you're hands.

Don't do the Gel titles, they are very heavy. A good pair of sparring gloves that are lighter are the Winnings but they are very expensive, like $500.

For me, the new IMF Ringsides are great for the price and are lighter than the avg sparring glove. Try those out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        I personally would never let my fighters wear 14oz gloves to spar unless they are very small guys.

Reason being is because it's good to work out with them so when you do put on the fight gloves, they feel like you have nothing on you're hands.

Don't do the Gel titles, they are very heavy. A good pair of sparring gloves that are lighter are the Winnings but they are very expensive, like $500.

For me, the new IMF Ringsides are great for the price and are lighter than the avg sparring glove. Try those out.
        When you say lighter, do you just mean they feel lighter? I feel like more compact gloves would be less clunky even if they still weigh 16oz on a scale.

I use ringside IMF tech bag gloves now for heavybag work, how do they compare to those? i've seen "Top Ten" brand sparring gloves recommended, which look a bit more "rounded" in shape

Comment

Originally posted by JesseH View Post
          When you say lighter, do you just mean they feel lighter? I feel like more compact gloves would be less clunky even if they still weigh 16oz on a scale.

I use ringside IMF tech bag gloves now for heavybag work, how do they compare to those? i've seen "Top Ten" brand sparring gloves recommended, which look a bit more "rounded" in shape
          The new IMF's are compact and lighter than some of the Title stuff and the older Ringside stuff. I really like them, and we use them in our gym for all the fighters. Now the big guys, we have Winnings 20oz to use because we don't want someone to get killed.

Smaller fighters, like 118lbers for example, we dont' mind the 14oz but again, wearing 16oz is the best way to go IMO.

http://www.ringside.com/ringside/rin...ves-12096.html

Comment

Winning or something at that level is the best I guess, but lets get real with the price tag.

I still think the best value overall with price and quality is the regular old Ringside sparring gloves. They were 35 dollars on the website last time I checked, the IMF Techs are really good as well.

The one gym we sparred with Amateur fight gloves just so they were the same, every other gym I trained at was 16's. Some guys go bigger and get like 20/22s.

Comment

Ray / Cuauhtémoc1520

Been thinking about the following recently and my experience tends not to follow conventional wisdom.

I have done several hundred rounds with one of our seniors boxer and he usually wears 16 oz gloves. However, his car is off the road at the moment so he has been running to the gym and leaving his kit bag at home - I have been loaning him my sons 12 oz to spar with me in for the last couple of weeks.

He's a strong lad and I really feel it when he lands with the 16 oz. However, with the 12 oz gloves his shots just don't seem quite as bad.

If you think about it, it kind of makes sense: Which would do the most damage ? A 2lb lump hammer or a 10 lb lump hammer?

I know the amount of padding obviously is an important factor but still I can definitely tell the difference between the 12 oz and the 16 oz gloves - and I definitely prefer to be hit with the 12 oz'ers.

Also, I can tell the difference in power when holding the mitts depending on glove size. I have held the mitts for my lad for hundreds of rounds in the 12 oz gloves but he sometimes wears 14 oz (which actually weight 15 oz on the scales) and his punches definitely seem harder with the 14 oz gloves.

Thing is, I am almost convinced heavier gloves result in more momentum but almost everyone in the boxing world tends to disagree - so on that basis I'm probably wrong haha but I'm not sure.

What are your thoughts on this?

Comment

If you have someone that has power.......you don't add weight to their hands!!

Learning how to spar is the key, you could use 6oz and no one is going to get hurt. When you move into an "open session" I prefer my old Shevlan 14oz gloves. Perfect size for defense as well! ..................invest in good head gear! HA! Ray

Comment

Fighting Sports or Winning.

Title Boxing Dot Com

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    If you have someone that has power.......you don't add weight to their hands!!
                    That is inline with my thinking mate.

Comment

Working...
                    X