No announcement yet.

Did Tyson sort of avenge Ali?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
    I share your dislike of Berbick on a personal level. He was a strange, sometimes menacing guy with a history of violence against women and I don't know of many who had much good to say about him. I disagree about him being a joke of a fighter though. He was freakishly strong, durable, had a very awkward style and had some good wins in his career. Thomas and Page were both undefeated and highly regarded when he beat them as an underdog and he was competitive against a prime Holmes. Afterwards, Holmes commended him as the strongest man he'd fought. No one's putting him in the Hall of Fame but he wasn't that bad.

True, Berbick wasn't a bad fighter at all.....

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
      No one's putting him in the Hall of Fame but he wasn't that bad.
      Just the worst fighter to ever hold a major Heavyweight belt.

Poet

Comment

Tyson certainly had all the motivation to beat Berbick that night. Not only Ali's words, or to become the youngest heavyweight champ, but to fulfill his recently deceased trainer Cus D'Amato's prophecy. Berbick had no chance of winning that night, and definitely not by meetin Tyson head-on.

Comment

Eh, I never really thought of it as a "vengeance". Yeah, Ali got beat up by Berbick, but I think Tyson was more concerned with winning the WBC belt than what happened to Ali. But I'm sure that seeing Tyson tank Brbick as effortlessly as he did brought a slight smile to Ali's face.

Comment

Originally posted by Great John L View Post
            Eh, I never really thought of it as a "vengeance". Yeah, Ali got beat up by Berbick, but I think Tyson was more concerned with winning the WBC belt than what happened to Ali. But I'm sure that seeing Tyson tank Brbick as effortlessly as he did brought a slight smile to Ali's face.

Ali didn't do horribly in that fight though. he did get some good punches off.

Comment

Well yeah, but he still lost. Not terribly, but Ali was at the absolute end of his career and Berbick was up and coming.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                Just the worst fighter to ever hold a major Heavyweight belt.

Poet
                Worse than Bruce Seldon? Hee hee

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                  Worse than Bruce Seldon? Hee hee
                  Seldon at least had talent.....albeit with a weak and less heart.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                  X