No announcement yet.

I'm not too excited about the next generation of boxers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El Gallo Negro! View Post
    Lots of things seem better when you first get into them.

You're just getting older and don't get easily excited because its not new to you anymore.

The same generation you hold in such high regard, had its fans who felt about them the way you do about the upcomers of today.
    Like I said a few pages back : I still get excited about the sport. I felt like I was on speed when Marquez KO'd Diaz, it was a high that took 24 hours to go away.

I still love the sport. I just don't think this next era is going to be able to compare to the era of from about 1990-2000.

and yeah, i feel the late 90's era kicks severe ass........
    Indeed it did. You could find 5-6 threats in any division you wanted.

Comment

Problem is all these new guys is so predictable and all alike pretty much.. You don't see someone standing out to dominate, to entertain.. They are not ''characters'' if I may say so.. They're simply just boxers..

I love when you can see a fighter who is in a whole different level then the rest of the fighters out there like Mayweather, Prime Jones etc.. However, it's not about skills, taking the sport serious, fighting the best (immidiatly thinks about Holyfield) or anything like it.. The heavyweight is pretty much dead except for 3 guys who are to ***** to unify the rest is fat bums and no new prospects..

Perhaps it's because athletes live to good these days.. When you look at the BEST of the BESt who ever stepped into the ring they all come from poor conditions or had to spend their personal life fighting as well - Morrales, Tyson, Ali etc etc .. I don't know. But i definiatly feel you this one.. Beside keeping my eyes on Berto there's not much for me either in a couple of years..

Comment

HELL NO

I'M REALLY EXCITED lara,gamboa,linares,mares,angulo,klirkland,haye,ar reola,valero,ortiz,andrade,lopez and dawson..I'm not even mentioning the vets that are like 27-29 that will be fighting for 5 more years

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
          LOL

Evander Holyfield, Riddick Bowe, Lennox Lewis, Mike Tyson, Andrew Golota, Michael Moorer, George Foreman, and others made for an amazing division.

You also had dominance in other division plus good contenders in them. I'll take the 90s Middleweights and Light Heavyweights, to them today.
          See, you got me there with the heaveyweight divsion, me I'm optimistic because I started watching boxing in 04. But looking back, you can find better time periods. All it takes is time.

Comment

Originally posted by Libido Sanchez View Post
            As people have said, youth has a lot to do with it. Young fighters need time to develop and have to come up through the ranks at a certain pace. Being in a war will catapult any of the new generation into higher ranks with fans overnight.

Another thing, and this is debatable, but some of the lackluster feelings about the new kids might be because of the way that they are marketed. Promoters and pay channels want you to get excited about the new crop so they "sell" them to the audience. But a lot of people resent being told who to like and interpret all this as undeserved hype. It just might be that people enjoy "discovering" a fighter rather than being told that any particular fighter is a sure-thing future star.
            For me : That is absolutely true.

I'd much rather find a guy who I connect with and support him as a future star, than to have HBO dictate to me who is going to be the next great boxer.

I mean, it worked so well for them with Jermain Taylor, and Andre Berto......

Comment

There are tons of top European prospects that will be future world champions...Europeans dominate the higher weight classes and will keep dominating for a very, very long time....You fat Yanks better get used to it

Comment

I'm really interested to see what Kelly Pavlik does with himself. Most of my other favorites are a bit older

Comment

Talent takes time to blossom. It sucks knowin the guys we grew up watchin dominate the sport are gettin old and won't be around much longer. Don't mean the newer crop of guys won't eventually do some good for the sport. It just sucks that nowadays all these guys keep bitchin about $ instead of just fightin all comers.

Comment

Originally posted by Steelhammer2K9 View Post
                    There are tons of top European prospects that will be future world champions...Europeans dominate the higher weight classes and will keep dominating for a very, very long time....You fat Yanks better get used to it
                    Please don't bring this garbage into my thread.

Thank you.

Comment

We're in that green phase of boxers. Wait for them to develop..

Comment

Working...
                      X