British Fighter of the Year 2013: George Groves

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Fighter of the Year 2013: George Groves

http://news.boxrec.com/news/2013/box...-george-groves

It was a two-way scrap between Carl Froch and George Groves for the BoxRec News Fighter of the Year Award, and this time the Hammersmith man won.

The majority of our writers considered Groves’ impressive display against Froch to be worthy of this years’ top slot. Stoppages of Argentinians Dario German Balmaceda, Noe Gonzalez Alcoba and Syrian Baker Barakat also featured in 2013.

Next year, Groves will surely look for a title, with a possible Froch rematch coming later down the line - the champion doesn’t seem all that keen at the moment, but money usually dictates what happens in boxing. Sky and Froch’s promoter Matchroom will be pushing heavily for a rematch in 2014.

Darren Barker, Martin Murray and Jamie McDonnell all received nominations for their impressive efforts this year.

Errr how?

Froch beats Kessler and Groves (fairly) and doesn't get it.

Groves fought brilliantly against Froch but lost at the end of the day. Other than that he knocked out 2 journeymen and also someone who got soundly beaten the only other time he fought at a high level.

Barker would have had a shout but his loss to Sturm spoiled it somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceNaz88 View Post
      Errr how?

Froch beats Kessler and Groves (fairly) and doesn't get it.

Groves fought brilliantly against Froch but lost at the end of the day. Other than that he knocked out 2 journeymen and also someone who got soundly beaten the only other time he fought at a high level.

Barker would have had a shout but his loss to Sturm spoiled it somewhat.
      I thought it was an EARLY referee stoppage.

Groves was way ahead in the fight on my card and probably would have won if the judges were fair. Froch was swinging wildly as if desperate.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2013 View Post

Groves was way ahead in the fight on my card and probably would have won if the judges were fair. Froch was swinging wildly as if desperate.
        No doubt it was an early stoppage but Groves was hurt bad at that point even though he was way ahead. There was plenty of time left in the round, if he had made it to the bell I would have been very very surprised.

Comment

that's nonsensical

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2013 View Post

He was hurt, imo there's little chance he was going to go the distance. Froch trains for 12 rounds and invariably finishes when he has his opponent hurt.

Even if one wants to put that fight to one side, beating Kessler > Balmaceda, Alcoba and Barakat.

Comment

Ridiculous. Groves fought a nobody on the Froch-Kessler undercard, and was on the verge of getting stopped legitimately in his last fight.
              Last edited by yoz; 01-01-2014, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Beyond weird...not even George is buying that one.

Comment

a few good rounds gets you british fighter of the year now!

Comment

Many of you know how critical I was of the Groves stoppage but he shouldn't get FOTY. That goes to Froch, hands down.

Comment

Working...
                    X