Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Co-worker made a comment about me, was it racist?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co-worker made a comment about me, was it racist?

I was put to work with a new guy. 40+, white guy. As I'm working with him he gets on he phone and says something like "I'm working with this mexican who doesn't know what he's doing, let me call you back". I asked what's up with that racist ****, he tells me it wasn't racist. I reported this to a supervisor and they seperated us and he told me to head to HR and report it there on MOnday.

Do you consider this racist? BTW, I'm not mexican nor latino.

Cool story, bro.

But that would be a racist comment.

Comment

It sounds like he was trying to categorize you based on your race. Were you the only person in the room/office?

I hope you didn't actually say, "what's up with the racist ****."

I think you did the responsible thing by going to your HR department, although he'll probably get off with a warning, seeing as it doesn't seem like an egregious incident.

I think it's kinda funny that you're neither Mexican, nor Latino lol.

Keep us updated.

Comment

Yes, it was racist.

Comment

Only way to combat racism is with more racism, now you guys will never be friends.

Racist recognize racist

Comment

No, it just sounds like your an idiot that looks Mexican.

Comment

***** mode on the snitching though. You probably cost a good albeit a little ignorant family man his job.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
                ***** mode on the snitching though. You probably cost a good albeit a little ignorant family man his job.
                Sadly it's the sort of over-reaction that companies find necessary nowadays. I think that telling HR was the right thing to do because a racist ****** can poison the workplace but unlike once-upon-a-time when he will have a quiet word in his ear and maybe a warning together with the instruction to apologise and make it right, now he's likely to be fired with cause.

If the company fails to do so then you, or any visible minority, could take the company to a tribunal and will win, costing the company tons of money.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleMM View Post
                  (...) BTW, I'm not mexican nor latino.
                  Then what are you?

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                    Yes, it was racist.
                    That's a bit harsh. Maybe inappropriate.

Comment

Working...
                    X