Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just watched Holyfield-Tyson again. Got a question for NSB.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread highlights how grossly overrated Tyson was and still is and how understated the Klits are wonder why.

Comment

Originally posted by -Lowkey- View Post
      This thread highlights how grossly overrated Tyson was and still is and how understated the Klits are wonder why.
      oh, everyone knows why

they just dont like saying it

Comment

Not really. Other then one poster who keep insisting a 96-97 Tyson would have beaten Prime Wlad, the other guys all admit at best it's a 50-50 fight and Tyson would have been a under dog. No under estimating of K2 in any way.

The Poll results is exactly how it should look like.

96-97 Tyson is nowhere near what he was during his prime. BUT IF YOU TAKE OUT k2 and put the 96 version of Mike in right now,other then maybe a a fully motivated David Haye, everyone's getting knocked out.

Guys like CURRENT Price don't have the experience, guys like Mitchell,Jennings would have been KO'ED within 4-5 Rounds. Povetkin would not have even taken the fight, much less have a chance. Arreloa is way too slow for even a semi shot Mike and would have been stopped.

Comment

I think it really highlights how underrated Holyfield can be.

It might not hold weight to some, but I can't look past Evander almost beating a "champ" in Valuev in 2008 - a fighter from a different era, and someone who might be the most notable win on David Haye's resume. Holyfield essentially laid the blueprint to beat Valuev before Haye came in and swooped that title.

Holyfield/Tyson was a physically grueling fight that tested both guys, there were some big shots landed by Tyson and I have a hard time believing others would walk through and be able to maintain their gameplan for that long...even with the experience, Evander got tired himself midway thru the fight - there's nobody listed outside of maybe Adamek, which is stretching it, who has been in half the wars Evander was in to that point.

Just based on styles there aren't many on that list who either: have the size and know how to hold; or are his size, have power, and know how to fight inside. There are some who bring some cool intangibles and there would be some fun fights.

as far as a Klitschko...I think that Wlad and Steward's old time knowledge of Tyson would have formulated a perfect gameplan as well, because he does know how to hold and have the size. Wlad is faster on his feet than Lennox, but I have a feeling Steward would have him using similar strategy.

The thing is that Tyson could take sustained beatings like a man, so even if Wlad was winning and controlling, if he got tired for too long trying to maintain the gamplan he could get put out. Similar strategies, but he is more at risk at getting tired than Lennox is imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
            It would be funny to see Chisora try to out crazy Mike, lol.
            I think the build up to that fight is the only interesting part of this whole scenario, as Tyson... even slightly past prime, would destroy pretty much everybody around today.

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
              I think it really highlights how underrated Holyfield can be.

It might not hold weight to some, but I can't look past Evander almost beating a "champ" in Valuev in 2008 - a fighter from a different era, and someone who might be the most notable win on David Haye's resume. Holyfield essentially laid the blueprint to beat Valuev before Haye came in and swooped that title.

Holyfield/Tyson was a physically grueling fight that tested both guys, there were some big shots landed by Tyson and I have a hard time believing others would walk through and be able to maintain their gameplan for that long...even with the experience, Evander got tired himself midway thru the fight - there's nobody listed outside of maybe Adamek, which is stretching it, who has been in half the wars Evander was in to that point.

Just based on styles there aren't many on that list who either: have the size and know how to hold; or are his size, have power, and know how to fight inside. There are some who bring some cool intangibles and there would be some fun fights.

as far as a Klitschko...I think that Wlad and Steward's old time knowledge of Tyson would have formulated a perfect gameplan as well, because he does know how to hold and have the size. Wlad is faster on his feet than Lennox, but I have a feeling Steward would have him using similar strategy.

The thing is that Tyson could take sustained beatings like a man, so even if Wlad was winning and controlling, if he got tired for too long trying to maintain the gamplan he could get put out. Similar strategies, but he is more at risk at getting tired than Lennox is imo.
              The best most realistic response. I think Tyson pre-prison and post-prison beat all of these guys "if" he trained and was off psychotropic drugs. His training and those psychotropic drugs really shorten Tyson's career. Styles make fights and most of the guys today don't train like Tyson did and they haven't been any wars minus Vitali vs. Lennox. Tyson would KO most guys of this era within 3 rounds. Now the Klits have something that would keep Tyson at bay and that's their jab, but in the later rounds when the Klits are known to get touched, Tyson finishes them. 96-97 Tyson was still throwing 3,4, & sometimes 5 punch combos...somethings gonna land. Not to mention the signature right step-right hook to the body-right upper cut or lead left hook which makes a fighter think before throwing the right hand. 96-97 Tyson is still very dangerous for the Klits.

Comment

90s tyson would be the best heavy today with no klitschkos around. All you have without the klitsckhos are Haye, Adamek and a bunch of fat guys.

Dont forget Tyson had a pretty decent chin. If him and Haye fought, Haye is getting KTFO. Up to and including the Lewis fight, it always took a number of big shots to put Tyson away. It took Lewis 8 rounds and he was landing at will by the end.

Tyson can take a Haye punch but he would find that glass chin on Haye and shatter it. 90s Tyson aint no 40 year old Ruiz or Chisora.
                Last edited by elfag; 09-11-2012, 09:12 AM.

Comment

tyson was a beast, even in 96-97 i can see him ko'ing every heavyweight now except wlad. the tyson that fought spinks........kill evrybody except ALI

Comment

Working...
                  X