No announcement yet.

GBP vs Top Rank on Sept 15th = GoldenBoy win

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GBP vs Top Rank on Sept 15th = GoldenBoy win

Ok so as a "Hardcore" (whatever you take that to be) Boxing Fan there is no doubt that the intrigue over a Chavez vs Martinez fight is the true Marquee Matchup. I for one will for sure be buying it maybe even flying out for it Yet the more i think about it the Goldenboy Card there is no doubt that they will win the PPV battle. You have 2 stars that have already had massive amounts of exposure on both HBO and on PPV. Ortiz alone with the scandal of the infamous 2 piece with a biscuit made him a household name. Canelo with his Mexican fanbase has all the recipe for a big PPV number amongst casuals.

I just dont see the same with the Martinez vs Chavez. Yes Chavez has been on undercards in the past and has name recognition yet i to do numbers (which means you having good dancing partner not just in ability but in drawing ) he doesnt have support. We know Sergio is feared and this is exactly why. He brings nothing to the table for casual fans and i truly believe that barring a real injury for Ortiz on saturday it will be Top Rank that backs off the date. Us "hardcore fans" will be treated to a treat of a fight but will be a major setback in the growth of both Chavez and especially Martinez.

what do you guys think

I think Canelo's "fanbase" is vastly, vastly overrated.

The middleweight fight is the better matchup at the top of their division at a higher weight.

Comment

It will be a loss for both

Comment

Both are good fights, Canelo vs Ortiz is what I'll watch, Mexican vs Mexican, both are action fighters, should be good, even though Ortiz is small for Canelo. Martinez is going to box Chavez, but if it goes to the card, whose to say Chavez wins just like Bradley. I will go with Oscar til he starts fixing fights like Bob does.

Comment

Golden Boy got the date first. The NSAC shouldn't approve another major fight on the same day.

Comment

Like i said there is no doubt that Chavez vs Martinez is a better match up. I just think with the general awareness of who those 2 are compared to Ortiz (who had a great deal of help from Mayweather) and Canelo (whos also had tons of help being on Major PPV undercards) I think there awareness among casual fans makes that an easier buy.

I think Sergio is the factor that no one really knows who he is unfortunately. Look how hard it was for PacMan to sell a fight with Tim Bradley and hes one of the two biggest draws in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              Golden Boy got the date first. The NSAC shouldn't approve another major fight on the same day.
              No Top Rank had the date reserved for months

Comment

How about Pac VS Mayweather Sept 15th... Problem Solved

Comment

I think its a moot point of whats the better fight. No one is gonna pay PPV to see Chavez vs some other guy that they dont really know regardless of how good he really is.

Comment

I think people seriously underestimating Ortiz pull power now Canelo vs Ortiz will out sell it fight is at MGM which is why Toprank has 10/6 as a back up date

Comment

Working...
                    X