Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Boxer Should Have a Film Made About them?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
    Matthew Saad Muhammad.
    that's a good one

they could start it off with a wispy and dramatic retelling of his abandonment as a child on the ben "franklin" parkway.

i can see it now, jabs!
    wide angle to make more realistic the city-scape, and then you let that damn camera run. give your audience a look into the mind of a child.

drama drama drama. plenty of the greats lived hard lives. plenty of the not so greats, too.

alexis arguello would make for a terrific biopic / political drama.

Comment

Originally posted by VIPrice View Post
      id like to see a movie about edwin valero. anyone else agree?
      Even a book would be great. Just to find out more about this man/monster/tragic human/etc.

Comment

Originally posted by VIPrice
        i agree. for all the terrible things edwin did, beating his wife, hitting his family members, eventually killing his wife in a drug and alcohol fueled psychosis, i get the impression he wasnt such a terrible person. let me clarify because i understand what people are thinking. he committed an abhorrent act in killing his wife, but when he came to and understood what he had done, well we all know what happened: he paid for taking a life with his own life. i believe he felt an undescribable pain that one must feel knowing they murdered the love of their life under the influence of drugs and alcohol (in the moments before hanging himself he was reported as saying 'i feel so alone,' 'i need someone to talk to'). this is no way 'makes up' for killing his wife and leaving their children without parents or his wifes family without their daughter/sister, but obviously he was extremely remorseful and felt no other option than to take his own life.

in the events leading up to that incident he was pleading for help. he was diagnosed as schizophrenic, he knew he was messed up and he wanted help. i place a lot of the blame on the people around valero, his management/promoters and people close to him whom knew he had issues and waited this many years to try and do something about it. these guys were making money off of someone who clearly was mentally unwell, and were content to leech off him because they didnt give a fck. before he was released from jail he told the authorities and people around him he shouldnt be let near his wife before he goes to rehab, assuming he knew something bad would happen. yet they let him out when he was very unstable.

im not trying to portray valero as an innocent victim because he isnt and a lot of the blame falls on him too, but in the end he came asking for help. i can understand how people can call him a piece of ****, and he was to a degree, but i think he still had his human side which is more than you can say about a lot of people in this world; he wasnt the worst person out there.

he came from a 3rd world ****hole, grew up with family problems, out on the street at age 12, abused drugs/alcohol from a young age, had some mental issues, ran with gangs and rose to become one of the best p4p fighters in the world. in my opinion his power and skills were legit. he was a true badass, the likes of which come along very rarely, and i feel i can somewhat relate to him

i wonder if you guys agree...
        Ya i personally would be interested but it would be a very dark story add also that while he was talented and imo had great potiential i dont think his career has warranted any kind off interest from a director outside off Venezuela like if he had rose into the p4p rankings and was a big name then yes but he wasnt near them at the time off his death

Comment

Originally posted by VIPrice
          i agree. for all the terrible things edwin did, beating his wife, hitting his family members, eventually killing his wife in a drug and alcohol fueled psychosis, i get the impression he wasnt such a terrible person. let me clarify because i understand what people are thinking. he committed an abhorrent act in killing his wife, but when he came to and understood what he had done, well we all know what happened: he paid for taking a life with his own life. i believe he felt an undescribable pain that one must feel knowing they murdered the love of their life under the influence of drugs and alcohol (in the moments before hanging himself he was reported as saying 'i feel so alone,' 'i need someone to talk to'). this is no way 'makes up' for killing his wife and leaving their children without parents or his wifes family without their daughter/sister, but obviously he was extremely remorseful and felt no other option than to take his own life.

in the events leading up to that incident he was pleading for help. he was diagnosed as schizophrenic, he knew he was messed up and he wanted help. i place a lot of the blame on the people around valero, his management/promoters and people close to him whom knew he had issues and waited this many years to try and do something about it. these guys were making money off of someone who clearly was mentally unwell, and were content to leech off him because they didnt give a fck. before he was released from jail he told the authorities and people around him he shouldnt be let near his wife before he goes to rehab, assuming he knew something bad would happen. yet they let him out when he was very unstable.

im not trying to portray valero as an innocent victim because he isnt and a lot of the blame falls on him too, but in the end he came asking for help. i can understand how people can call him a piece of ****, and he was to a degree, but i think he still had his human side which is more than you can say about a lot of people in this world; he wasnt the worst person out there.

he came from a 3rd world ****hole, grew up with family problems, out on the street at age 12, abused drugs/alcohol from a young age, had some mental issues, ran with gangs and rose to become one of the best p4p fighters in the world. in my opinion his power and skills were legit. he was a true badass, the likes of which come along very rarely, and i feel i can somewhat relate to him

i wonder if you guys agree...

this is a picture of valero and his wife, the mother of his children. he stabbed her to death with what i believe was a shard of glass. either that or a knife. i don't want to research anything so heinous, the way i usually might.

prior to that he'd been arrested numerous times for giving her beatings. he broke her ribs so badly they punctured her lungs.

he was a HORRIBLE man
          he killed the mother of his five and eight year olds.

Comment

What about Max Schmeling i think that movie could win oscars ... Hollocaust movies always do.

Other boxers that come to mind are...

Emile Griffith
            Johnny tapia
            Pacquiao
            Arguello
            Meldrick Taylor
            Gatti
            Dempsey

Many others ... if there is something i love about boxing its that it has so much history behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
              I was still upset when I read the news.
              You can still feel for the guy and you make connections with fighters you've never met, something that cannot be said of other sports. So it's understandable a boxers death can upset people.

However, when it boils down to it, he was obviously not fit for life on Earth whether it is his fault, genetic or circumstantial.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                You can still feel for the guy and you make connections with fighters you've never met, something that cannot be said of other sports. So it's understandable a boxers death can upset people.

However, when it boils down to it, he was obviously not fit for life on Earth whether it is his fault, genetic or circumstantial.
                And that's the plain cold truth

Comment

Originally posted by ..David.. View Post
                  What about Max Schmeling i think that movie could win oscars ... Hollocaust movies always do.
                  A movie about Schmeling is a great call!

Comment

easyyy. Arturo Gatti....he was well known, a fan fav, had wars in the ring and had a sketchy life outside of the ring ..and he is dead now (R.I.P he is my hero)

Comment

Originally posted by ..David.. View Post

Other boxers that come to mind are...

Emile Griffith
                      Johnny tapia
                      Pacquiao
                      Arguello
                      Meldrick Taylor
                      Gatti
                      Dempsey

Many others ... if there is something i love about boxing its that it has so much history behind it.
                      Schmelling and Tapia have great potential. There has to be a Gatti movie eventually. I remember seeing an ok Dempsey movie starring Treat Williams about 20-25 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X