No announcement yet.

Why Doesn't Martinez Go Back to 154?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Doesn't Martinez Go Back to 154?

There's much more names down there, so he could get the recognition he's dying for if he does well.

He would also show Mayweather and pacquiao that he can fight at 154 and increase his chances of getting a fight with either

I don't know why everyone assumes Martinez could make 154 easy still. Dropping weight classes at 36 isn't easy, especially when you've seemingly built muscle going to your new one, which probably is the case seeing how he's knocked down or knocked out every opponent he's faced at MW except for Pavlik.

Comment

Originally posted by -GDS- View Post
      I don't know why everyone assumes Martinez could make 154 easy still. Dropping weight classes at 36 isn't easy, especially when you've seemingly built muscle going to your new one, which probably is the case seeing how he's knocked down or knocked out every opponent he's faced at MW except for Pavlik.
      Because Martinez opens his mouth and says he can do so. He's just getting held to what he says.

Comment

he said he would for guys like mayweather and pacquiao (even 150) or cotto. but i guess since chavez is a pretty good paycheck and has the regular wbc belt, he'll stick around at 160 for now...there's talent at 154 but not big names to guarantee paychecks. besides cotto and alvarez, kirkland? trout? lara? i'm sure he would make just as much dough as he would fighting someone like macklin, rubio, or pirog at 160. only way i see him moving down is for someone like pac may or cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by chiguy91 View Post
          he said he would for guys like mayweather and pacquiao (even 150) or cotto. but i guess since chavez is a pretty good paycheck and has the regular wbc belt, he'll stick around at 160 for now...there's talent at 154 but not big names to guarantee paychecks. besides cotto and alvarez, kirkland? trout? lara? i'm sure he would make just as much dough as he would fighting someone like macklin, rubio, or pirog at 160. only way i see him moving down is for someone like pac may or cotto.
          brand building

beat those guys so the casual fans and Americans will get a chance to know who you are

Mayweather and pacquiao like to fight guys with names

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
            Because Martinez opens his mouth and says he can do so. He's just getting held to what he says.
            Of course he says that. He just wants to get in the ring and get a paycheck. But it doesn't mean he could actually make the weight, or be a effective fighter at it. See Oscar vs Pac.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
              brand building

beat those guys so the casual fans and Americans will get a chance to know who you are

Mayweather and pacquiao like to fight guys with names
              Dude is 36, no time for brand building at this point. It's low risk/low reward fights until the opportunity for a big fight comes.

Comment

I agree. I wish he would move down to 154 and fight Kirkland or Lara instead of staying at 160 and fighting a bunch of no name Europeans. He probably still wouldn't be able to land a big money fight even at 154 against Cotto and Alvarez, but at least he'll be able to draw bigger crowds fighting the Americans and Hispanics that 154 is filled with.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                  Dude is 36, no time for brand building at this point. It's low risk/low reward fights until the opportunity for a big fight comes.
                  BINGO!

He'll move down for a megafight, but why would he risk moving down in weight when he can get the same payday at 160?

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                    I agree. I wish he would move down to 154 and fight Kirkland or Lara instead of staying at 160 and fighting a bunch of no name Europeans. He probably still wouldn't be able to land a big money fight even at 154 against Cotto and Alvarez, but at least he'll be able to draw bigger crowds fighting the Americans and Hispanics that 154 is filled with.
                    exactly

Originally posted by turkas View Post
                    BINGO!

He'll move down for a megafight, but why would he risk moving down in weight when he can get the same payday at 160?
                    Because Martinez favorite fighters Floyd and manny like to fight known fighters

Comment

Working...
                    X